Syt, is there a cultural diference between West and East Germany?

Started by Siege, May 19, 2009, 02:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I was reading the other german thread, the one about poverty, and I wonder if there is any noticeable cultural diference between the two.

By cultural diferences I specially refer to their visions of life, of how it should be, their expectations, their concepts of what's good or bad, the function of the State, sense of community, from local to nation level, perception of national and global politics, inmigration and emigration (are there any germans leaving germany?), etc, etc, etc.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Zanza

That's a pretty broad question and I'll leave it to Syt to answer it. I'd say that there are cultural differences in most of the points you describe, but then there is also a quite pronounced north-south difference in most of these points.

One more detailed answer: last year was the first time in decades that more Germans emigrated than immigrated (before that we had a steady influx of Germans from East and Central Europe). However, the by far most popular emigration destination was Switzerland so they don't go far.

The Brain

East Germany is described in Top Secret. AFAIK it's still valid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 19, 2009, 03:50:42 PM
I'll leave it to Syt to answer it.

And I can't answer it, really, because I never spent much time in the east or with easterners, so I can't formulate an opinion in this case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on May 19, 2009, 10:32:14 PM
Pfft syt is a bavarian, he don't know diddly.

I thought he was from Hamburg or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

To answer the original post: I could give a decent comparison between Holsteinian rural life and Austrian city life, but that's about it. Everything else would be shallow, superficial and based on clichés and misconceptions. And we don't do that on Languish.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2009, 12:45:11 AM
To answer the original post: I could give a decent comparison between Holsteinian rural life and Austrian city life, but that's about it. Everything else would be shallow, superficial and based on clichés and misconceptions. And we don't do that on Languish.

God forbid!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I remember when my mother's cousins came to visit us less than a year after The Wall fell.
As Wessies, they said the biggest problem at the time was apparently how shitty the Ossie roads were.

Threviel

I was in the east around '90 or so. They still drove around in Trabants and a relative of us was so happy and proud of his new VW Golf. I was 10 years old so I wasn't as impressed as him.

They told us of Stasi, and of the fear that the neighbours would tell on them for watching western TV, of how happy they were to be free. The joy of being able to travel freely and so on.

Now they tell us that it was better then, that Stasi wasn't so bad, that everyone was friendlier and so on...

Syt

Small anecdote from a former colleague in Germany.

They had relatives in the GDR and would send "care packages" with west goods (esp. coffee, cigarettes, ...) for Xmas, Easter etc.

He was at the time pretty pissed that they would only ask for the brand name products until he realized that it wasn't arrogance but ignorance - watching west tv they only knew the brand name stuff from the commercials, not the no name stuff you'd get at the discounters.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2009, 06:51:42 AM
Small anecdote from a former colleague in Germany.

They had relatives in the GDR and would send "care packages" with west goods (esp. coffee, cigarettes, ...) for Xmas, Easter etc.

He was at the time pretty pissed that they would only ask for the brand name products until he realized that it wasn't arrogance but ignorance - watching west tv they only knew the brand name stuff from the commercials, not the no name stuff you'd get at the discounters.

This was allowed by the government?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points