SSD - I'm a gonna buy onez!

Started by Grey Fox, January 07, 2013, 01:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

So viper et al, opinions on the subject?

Where's the sweet spot between price & capacity?

Crucial M4's seem to be the #1 choice among the nerds.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2013, 01:37:49 PM
So viper et al, opinions on the subject?

Where's the sweet spot between price & capacity?

Crucial M4's seem to be the #1 choice among the nerds.
256gb seems ok to me.  You need to install Windows on it, and keep everything else on your hard drive.  You need 65-70gb for Windows and essential stuff on the C: drive.

When you play a game, you can use a tool like Steam Mover or App mover to move your applications/games back and forth between the SSD and hard drive.

If you don't want to move stuff around, then invest in a 512gb to keep some permanent stuff on it.

I have an OCZ Agility 4 128gb in the office, and an OCZ Vertex 4 256gb at home.  Both run great after the latest firmware update.  The Vertex failed after a month of use, and the forum has reports of multiple failures, wich seems to be corrected by the latest firmwares *touching wood*.

The Crucial M4 seems a bit outdated:
http://www.fastestssd.com/featured/ssd-rankings-the-fastest-solid-state-drives/

The Samsung are supposed to be reliable.
If you do get an SSD from OCZ and it fails, don't use their crossshipment option.  It takes so much time from them to get their fingers out of their asses that your drive will arrive before they even ship your new one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I'm not sure I can get my girl to approve the price of a 256gb.

I'm thinking of a Samsung 840 120. They were on sell at NCIX (suppose to still be) but the code doesn't work anymore.

70 gb for windows? Mine sits currently at 45.

viper37

I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit English+French + a few essential softwares.  It takes 61.5gb on the office computer.
Check the specs correctly, there is often a difference in performance between 120/128 and 240/256gb.

I've just checked NCIX' site, if you add the drive to your cart, it will show up at 99.99$ as it should be (regular is 120$)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on January 08, 2013, 04:19:26 PM
I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit English+French + a few essential softwares.  It takes 61.5gb on the office computer.
Check the specs correctly, there is often a difference in performance between 120/128 and 240/256gb.

I've just checked NCIX' site, if you add the drive to your cart, it will show up at 99.99$ as it should be (regular is 120$)

Oh I only have Home Premium at home.

C'est pas ce qui arrivais cette apres midi! Yon du fixer de quoi.

Grey Fox

sbr

DGuller

Grey Fox

Quote from: sbr on January 09, 2013, 08:30:05 AM
Which one?

Samsung 840, sure it has bad write speed but it was cheap.

Grey Fox

Grey Fox

Shit, those things are light & small.

viper37

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2013, 03:29:57 PM
So, how do you like it? :)

I like how Calibre and IE start way faster. I don't know if I see any difference in games. I'll have to test civ V to see.

Windows sure does boot faster.