"I did it" - Obama Sworn In For 2nd Term As US President.

Started by mongers, January 20, 2013, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2013, 02:48:39 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2013, 01:06:52 PM
Who and what the hell are you talking about? :huh:

I assume the folks that warned that the Fed extraordinary measures would prompt hyperinflation.

Yes.  Though I can't really name any of them off the top of my head.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Scipio on January 21, 2013, 07:59:59 PM
Where do you put Steven Landsburg on your continuum?
Is he even a serious economist?  He strikes me as a pop economist who often stumbles upon counter-intuitive results, mainly due to ignoring simpler and obvious answers.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2013, 08:29:52 PM
Is he even a serious economist?  He strikes me as a pop economist who often stumbles upon counter-intuitive results, mainly due to ignoring simpler and obvious answers.

Let me guess, some crazy libertarian?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

:yes:

Razgovory

Well those are the only ones for Skip, so it's not hard to guess.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

I had to use his microeconomics textbook when studying for an actuarial exam back in the day, which is how I originally became aware of this so-called economist.  I remember reading some musings by him in some other book, pondering car safety.

He started off with the fact that car accident fatalities have remained steady over many decades, despite advances in car safety technology.  He went on to conclude that as cars became safer, people started consuming more of reckless driving, which canceled out the advances.  He then hypothesizes that car accident deaths could be minimized by installing a sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel, since people would then be reluctant to crash.

Of course, what he failed to take into account is that people are covering more miles than they did decades ago.  By death-per-mile statistics, car accidents deaths have actually fallen precipitously, almost by a factor of ten when compared to 1940-ies.  Anyone even remotely familiar with car safety would be at the very least aware of measuring car safety with such a statistic.  However, Landsburg is too much of an unconventional thinker to use such common sense and basic knowledge in the field he opines on.

Razgovory

I do admit, I admire people who are completely insane like that.  It take a very pure high-grade madness to come to those type of conclusions.

Razgovory

I wonder if aviation related deaths have dropped dramatically.  I seem to recall there was alarming number of people who died in airplanes in the early 1940's.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 10:50:35 PM
I wonder if aviation related deaths have dropped dramatically.  I seem to recall there was alarming number of people who died in airplanes in the early 1940's.

:lol:  I suppose they did.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

IS THERE ANY OTHER KIND LOLWTF
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive