News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NAACP Joins Fight Against Bloomberg's Soda Ban

Started by garbon, January 23, 2013, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/23/naacp_joins_fight_against_bloomberg.php

QuoteRemember Mayor Bloomberg's ban on big sodas? The one supposed to kick in on March 12th? Well, it is still happening. But the fight against it continues and big soda just got some interesting bedmates. Like the NAACP.

As the AP reports, the NAACP's New York state branch and the Hispanic Federation "have joined beverage makers and sellers in trying to stop the rule from taking effect" and will all be out today for a hearing regarding what they call an "inconsistent and undemocratic regulation."

Both groups acknowledge that this is a tricky situation "given obesity rates that are higher than average among blacks and Hispanics, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control." But freedom of choice seems to trump those concerns—especially as obesity rates are actually dropping here (for unclear reasons). "This sweeping regulation will no doubt burden and disproportionally impact minority-owned businesses at a time when these businesses can least afford it," they said in court papers. Instead they say they city should be focusing on physical education in schools.

Opponents of Bloomberg's ban on selling large sugary drinks in restaurants and bars say it is "too narrow to be fair" (since, for instance, 7-Eleven would not be subject to the regulations) and that it was improperly pushed through the Bloomberg-appointed Board of Health. Instead they think the measure should have been passed through the City Council which, they say in court papers, is "the proper forum for balancing the city's myriad interests in matters of public health."

In case they don't win though, you have 48 days to enjoy your 512-oz. "child-size" sodas at the movies!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

I think the ban is a pretty good example of improper use of govenment power and nanny-statism run amok, but I don't see how it would disproportionately affect minority-owned businesses.

garbon

I'd guess as they are in neighborhoods where the populace is more likely to opt for a large soda over a vitamin water.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on January 23, 2013, 12:28:05 PM
I think the ban is a pretty good example of improper use of govenment power and nanny-statism run amok, but I don't see how it would disproportionately affect minority-owned businesses.

Agreed.  Bodegas don't have fountains, and blacks and hispanics are not disproportionate owners of fast food franchises or 7-11s.

My guess is there are a handful of black/hispanic heavy hitter big donors to these organizations who own distributorhips/bottling operations, and they're calling in their markers.