News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Food trends where you are

Started by Gups, January 14, 2013, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Maybe, but you might just be overly kind. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Thread prediction: Josq will be confused, then provincial and then confused again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

I am sick of the continuing cupcake shop trend. Open something else, you cows.

Tired of the 40 year old chicks with no sense opening up another one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 05:54:09 PM

Yeah, thankfully most of those around here have gone out of business.

garbon

Molly's Cupcakes near me really is amazing but then it also bolstered shows like Cupcake Wars...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 05:54:09 PM

We already covered that in a whole thread just to itself:

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,8810.msg505417.html#msg505417

:smarty:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Warspite

In my corner of London, it's all about street food. Street food you sit down for. And is cooked using gourmet ingredients. In spotless kitchens. So nothing at all like actual street food. But, the concept seems to work and Londoners are happily liberating themselves from their own money paying top dollar for peasant food.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on January 14, 2013, 06:09:53 PM
In my corner of London, it's all about street food. Street food you sit down for. And is cooked using gourmet ingredients. In spotless kitchens. So nothing at all like actual street food. But, the concept seems to work and Londoners are happily liberating themselves from their own money paying top dollar for peasant food.

That really is conspicuous consumption.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Speaking of street food, I'm sick of food trucks also. No, I don't want to pay 10 bucks for a grilled cheese sandwich. Also, wash your goddamned van.

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on January 14, 2013, 06:09:53 PM

We do it here and it can be liberating from the otherwise default/monolithic brick and mortar eateries.

Josquius

Trends here....hmm.....its dying off now but in recent years all things Korean were big leading to a bit of a Korean food fad. Even lots of Japanese places offering special kimchi flavoured whatever.

The next big thing is Ramen - noodle soup in a pork stock. Several places have opened up in Soho recently and are doing a roaring trade.
Really? How odd. But cool. I love ramen. Interesting though that ramen is synonomous with pork stock, pork stock ramen is the rarer of the main types over here and people are often surprised when I say its my favourite. Its not too popular. More common are miso, salt or soy sauce bases.
I did notice when visiting home over xmas that where before the big mall in Gateshead had no Japanese restaurants it now has three. Ramen seems to be a heavy feature.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 06:12:39 PM
Speaking of street food, I'm sick of food trucks also. No, I don't want to pay 10 bucks for a grilled cheese sandwich. Also, wash your goddamned van.

It's going strong here too. Lots of normal restaurants are branching out with food trucks so they can cater events and stuff. And yes, they do the gourmet ten dollar grilled cheese.

There a great one that does Korean tacos for a buck fifty. Cheap and good. The thing is painted as a Super Mario landscape.  :P

The other big trend is the microbreweries popping up everywhere.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Caliga

The trend around here is that the food at gas stations is getting better and more upscale.  Why, we even have karaoke night at our local one on Friday night now! :o
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2013, 06:03:31 PMYeah, thankfully most of those around here have gone out of business.

There were many cupcake shops around? The only one I noticed was the one on Thurlow. I think they have another location on Denman. Other than them, were there others?

It seems like a pretty niche... erh... niche.