Bad
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 15, 2013, 01:53:14 PM

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2013, 03:34:31 PM
The same way that unifying French and British command in WWI strengthened the allies, but the opposite.
Can you see any differences between WWI and the Cold War that might make them poor analogies?

QuoteCodswallop.  Tripe.  Bollocks.
Nonsense :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2013, 01:46:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2013, 12:52:26 PM
De Gaulle's magnificent. Americans moan about Europe not wanting to pull their weight in the world and then bitch about the one country that does :P

Utter tripe.  Complete codswallop.  Pulling out of the NATO command structure and weakening the military alliance that defended France against Warsaw Pact invasion is the exact opposite of pulling one's one weight.  France under De Gaulle invented the tactic of fucking with your most important ally as a pathetic ploy to restore emasculated national pride.

Wait, going alone is now a coasting let others carry the weight tactic now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on January 21, 2013, 02:13:20 PM
A French soldier in Mali with an awesome mask:

It's a bit lamer when you realize it's something from a videogame.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on January 21, 2013, 12:38:41 PMI'm telling you people, it's that piece of shit de Gaulle's fault.  Back in the day Amerikkka loved France.  Remember how they helped us push Britain's shit in during the Revolution?  We used to be pretty damn grateful for that.
Roosevelt's fondness for French fascists didn't help <_<

It's not like Britain was much better on this issue.  Nobody was certain how to deal with the French governments.  Fortunately Darlan was murdered, and the Nazis took over Vichy controlled France which clarified the issue quite a bit.  That's one thing you got to give the Germans Credit for, they were good at making politics simpler for their enemies.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2013, 04:01:06 PM
Can you see any differences between WWI and the Cold War that might make them poor analogies?

In terms of the value of unity of command?  No.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 04:01:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2013, 01:46:11 PM
De Gaulle's magnificent. Americans moan about Europe not wanting to pull their weight in the world and then bitch about the one country that does :P

Utter tripe.  Complete codswallop.  Pulling out of the NATO command structure and weakening the military alliance that defended France against Warsaw Pact invasion is the exact opposite of pulling one's one weight.  France under De Gaulle invented the tactic of fucking with your most important ally as a pathetic ploy to restore emasculated national pride.

Wait, going alone is now a coasting let others carry the weight tactic now?

In this case, I'd say so.  They relieved themselves of the burden of subordinating themselves to NATO command, while reaping the benefits-- you know NATO would have come to France's defense as if it had remained a full member during that time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

What was the burden of subordinating yourself to NATO command?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 04:22:03 PM
What was the burden of subordinating yourself to NATO command?

:rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 04:08:46 PM
It's not like Britain was much better on this issue.  Nobody was certain how to deal with the French governments.  Fortunately Darlan was murdered, and the Nazis took over Vichy controlled France which clarified the issue quite a bit.  That's one thing you got to give the Germans Credit for, they were good at making politics simpler for their enemies.
Britain was better. The UK always supported de Gaulle and the Free French despite occasional (:lol:) fights. We helped fund them too. Churchill never tried to 'deal' with another leader however emotional his relationship with de Gaulle got.

It's not just Darlan. The US pushed Giraud who was less of a collaborationist but also less of a leader. That the French resistance in France acknowledged only de Gaulle as their leader helped clarify issues too. I mean right up until the end Roosevelt wanted to deal with other French leaders. Like the resistance Ike told de Gaulle that as far as he was concerned he was the leader of the French and would always treat him as such, regardless of Roosevelt.

QuoteIn this case, I'd say so.  They relieved themselves of the burden of subordinating themselves to NATO command, while reaping the benefits-- you know NATO would have come to France's defense as if it had remained a full member during that time.
Again this ignores the force de frappe which is a complementary and key part of French independent policy. However you know full well that if Germany were invaded, despite not being full members of NATO France would have fully joined the war as if she were - Article 5 or not.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2013, 04:27:04 PM
Again this ignores the force de frappe which is a complementary and key part of French independent policy. However you know full well that if Germany were invaded, despite not being full members of NATO France would have fully joined the war as if she were - Article 5 or not.

I can envision scenarios where they would've stayed put.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2013, 04:12:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2013, 04:01:06 PM

In terms of the value of unity of command?  No.
Does the lack of war not matter?
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 04:08:46 PM
Britain was better. The UK always supported de Gaulle and the Free French despite occasional (:lol:) fights. We helped fund them too. Churchill never tried to 'deal' with another leader however emotional his relationship with de Gaulle got.

and that was the sole correct course, there was no ambiguity, no need to deal with 'that other france'

Neil

Roosevelt's fondness for French fascists didn't help <_<
Meh.  At least Vichy had the benefit of being an actual government, rather than some junior officer with delusions of Bonapartism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: derspiess on January 21, 2013, 04:29:32 PM

I can envision scenarios where they would've stayed put.

those are probably the same scenario's in which the Us stayed put too.  :ph34r: