News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you a statist?

Started by derspiess, January 10, 2013, 11:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In economic terms, do you consider yourself a statist?

Yes
16 (47.1%)
No
18 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

derspiess

I have my suspicions that there are a number of economic statists on the forum-- I'm curious to see how many of you would own up to it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

It's a perjorative term so I doubt anyone is going to answer in the affirmative.  Maybe Ide.

Grey Fox

Bueller, I am going to need a full explanation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 10, 2013, 11:59:05 AM
Bueller, I am going to need a full explanation.

What the not-frog said.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

A person who doesn't want to live in Somalia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I believe the state should take a disproportionate amount of taxes from those who benefit the most from our capitalist system. I do not however, believe the state should attempt to set up an alternate system.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

I guess it depends on how one defines 'statist'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

However you define it yourself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

In that case, absolutely.  Anyone who says otherwise isn't thinking it through.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2013, 12:53:12 PM
However you define it yourself.

Having never heard the term before, I'm going to define it as "Someone who likes their state." In which case, my response is no. :)

Jacob

I'd say no.

I believe the state needs to be significantly involved in a number of crucial aspects of public life. I believe in progressive taxation and a state administered social safety net, I believe the state can and should be involved in providing a number of public goods others would prefer to be privatized (and which in many places are in private hands); I believe that a well organized state provides crucial benefits.

So I have a positive view of the potential of the state. There are numerous messed up states, but the solution to that is to clean up how they're organized, not to do without.

On the other hand, I believe the state ought to serve the population as a whole, and to serve the interests of individual citizens. To me, a statist is someone who believes that citizens serves the interest of the state.

mongers

Good post Jacob, I'm in large agreement.

Not sure we can have a useful debate about the issue as statist seems to almost exclusively used as a pejorative term. 

It would be better if the thread OP be rephrased in more neutral terms.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 10, 2013, 01:25:59 PM
Having never heard the term before, I'm going to define it as "Someone who likes their state." In which case, my response is no. :)

I hope you realize Zombie Abe Lincoln is going to hunt you down now.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2013, 02:07:18 PM

He didn't like it either. He got the hell out as soon as he could, too, didn't he?

Besides, believe me, this is NOT Honest Abe's state anymore. :glare:

So, is anyone going to answer my original question of what the OP is asking? :)

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on January 10, 2013, 02:22:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2013, 02:07:18 PM

He didn't like it either. He got the hell out as soon as he could, too, didn't he?

Besides, believe me, this is NOT Honest Abe's state anymore. :glare:

So, is anyone going to answer my original question of what the OP is asking? :)
Indeed.  Now it's Obama's state.