The lights go out on 75-watt light bulbs

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 09:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.kplctv.com/story/20482018/the-lights-go-out-on-75-watt-light-bulbs

QuoteAs 2012 becomes an afterthought, Americans can also add one other item to the past - the 75-watt incandescent light bulb.

As of Jan. 1, federal law dictates that 75-watt light bulbs can no longer be produced or imported in the United States. Retailers that still have them in stock can sell them until they run out.

By 2014, traditional 60- and 40-watt bulbs will also be phased out.

The reason for the Thomas Edison invention's demise is energy based.

"90 percent of the energy the bulb uses is wasted," said Celia Kuperzmid-Lehrman of Consumer Reports. "What they replaced them with are much more energy-efficient bulbs."

Kuperzmid-Lehrman stated that the replacements for the incandescent bulb are also as bright and will save consumers more money over time.

Most screw-in bulbs must use at least 27 percent less energy by 2014.

The remaining options for consumers are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) and Light-Emitting Diode bulbs (LEDs).

While a reason for consumer resistance to LED bulbs is cost, prices for are dropping.

When replacing a bulb, experts at Consumer Reports suggest choosing bulbs the same size or smaller to be sure it fits the fixture. Specialized fixtures, such as dimmers, have specific bulbs for those needs, so check bulb packaging for specific details.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I'll be heading to Home Depot tomorrow for some Preppers insanity.

garbon

Dimmer switch light fixtures in my apt says specifically not for use with CFLs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I am sure Ed Anger has a hoard of thousands by now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 09:53:37 PM
Dimmer switch light fixtures in my apt says specifically not for use with CFLs.

In the early days there were no dimmer compatible CFLs but there are now.  You should be able to find some that will work fine.

garbon

CountDeMoney

Well, we know Yankee Candles are certainly out.  <_<

derspiess

I keep waiting for those wonderful $30 LED lightbulbs to drop in price. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2013, 11:13:01 PM

Aren't they supposed to last for years and years? 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on January 07, 2013, 09:57:44 PM
I am sure Ed Anger has a hoard of thousands by now.

You thought wrong. I've mostly adjusted to the sickly yellow light from CFL bulbs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 11:22:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2013, 11:13:01 PM

Aren't they supposed to last for years and years?

I have 1, it's garantueed for 10 years, 25 years life @ 3 hours a day.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

I use CFL bulbs in a lot of fixtures, mainly the ones that are on a lot or for a long time. I'm fine with the lights. My outside lights for night time now use about 30watts power for three bulbs rather than over 200 watts. Nice and bright, a white light on the outside lights. I got the ones that are formed like an incandescent bulb which adds some shielding for colder weather.

Most of the CFL bulbs brighten up fast, no problem. My smaller kitchen bulbs in the overhead fan/light take a while to brighten up, but once they do they're a lot brighter than the old style bulbs they replaced.

I do find that the CFLs sometimes make it hard to tell a color. Such as when picking socks in the morning, some shades of colors are hard to tell what they are. Like certain shades of brown and greay. So I turn on the incandescent hall light to check.