11 (19.3%)
Katherine Janeway/Chakotay
6 (10.5%)
Jonathan Archer/T'Pol
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 11:24:14 PM
But it's bullshit, since they fought wars with their ships.

See also, and especially, Yesterday's Enterprise--the one with the alternate reality where they've been at war with the Klingons for twenty years.  Is the Enterprise-D any different?  Well, it's badly lit.  That's the distinction between warship and explorer in the Trek universe: fewer fluorescent light bulbs.

A warship is a ship designed exclusively or primarily for combat, not any ship with weapons.  Starfleet ships are (supposedly) not designed primarily for combat, and are thus not warships.  This does not mean that they cannot use their ships to fight.  That Starfleet has no warships is suspect, but as others mentioned Roddenberry was a hippie idealist.

The Defiant had no purpose beyond blowing shit up and giving the crew of DS9 an excuse to leave the station for plot purposes.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 08:26:31 AM
meh, a mere White Star 1 wannabe, just like DS9 is a Bab5 wannabe.

I'm not defending the show, just saying what was stated on it. :P

viper37

Nobody wants to serve under her?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

She's got a weird belly button. That rules her out by Internet standards :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Speaking of STNG...(well some of us were)...came across this ineresting (to me) article about The GAme, remember that addictive game that Riker brought on board? (some of you might)

http://gameological.com/2013/01/games-go-to-hollywood-star-trek-the-next-generation-the-game/
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Tonitrus

Josephus

Wesley, or Wussley as we called him in my dorm common room, was terrible...BUT we absolutely refused to watch any episode that had Worf's son. Troy's mother was also hit and miss.

In fact, it dawns on me now, that much as I look back fondly to STNG, there were a lot of shit episodes.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I've been wanting to go through netfux and pick out a few episode. But I keep going to crackle to watch the Prisoner instead.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2013, 06:21:40 PM
Wesley, or Wussley as we called him in my dorm common room, was terrible...BUT we absolutely refused to watch any episode that had Worf's son. Troy's mother was also hit and miss.

In fact, it dawns on me now, that much as I look back fondly to STNG, there were a lot of shit episodes.
What about the one where Worf killed Duras?

Troi's mom was poisoned by her DS9 appearances.  So bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

A lot of those Klingon High Council ones were lame. To me, STNG succeeded in telling good sci fi stories....off the top of my head:

The one when Beverley was left alone in the shrinking Enterprise

The one when Picard spent an entire lifetime on a planet.

Just two examples of some of the ones I liked. I liked the Holodeck ones as diversions and all the Borg ones as well.
Civis Romanus Sum

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on January 10, 2013, 03:16:24 PM
The one when Picard spent an entire lifetime on a planet.

Which won a HUGO Award, no less.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2013, 06:24:02 PM
I've been wanting to go through netfux and pick out a few episode. But I keep going to crackle to watch the Prisoner instead.
Q Who, and the The Best of Both Worlds I & II are great.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point