Your 2012 Demographics of the Day post

Started by CountDeMoney, January 01, 2013, 02:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

We had a murder in town just this week.  Two guys decided to rob a third man by telling him they would sell him drugs.  Everyone huddles into a car for the deal, and when the robbers tell their prospective victim that they didn't have any drugs and they were just going to take the money a gun fight broke out.  One robber wounded and the victim dead.  I suppose it's a bad idea to have a gun fight in a car.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 06:42:29 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 02:56:52 AM
There were approximately 600 cases of manslaughter in 2012 in the whole of Poland.
Do they only prosecute manslaughter cases there because Poles are incapable of premeditation and forethought? ;)

Yes. :P

But I should have said "homicide" instead.

Kleves

You know, if you took away all the blacks and guns, Baltimore would be a pretty safe city.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on January 02, 2013, 11:39:09 AM
You know, if you took away all the blacks and guns, Baltimore would be a pretty safe city.

It would be called a "small town" if you did that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on January 02, 2013, 02:39:09 AM
There were 22 murders in HK in the first 10 months in 2012. 

http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/09_statistics/csc.html

We are a city of 7 million.
:blink: That doesn't make sense.  You can't even have a gun for defense there.

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on January 02, 2013, 11:39:09 AM
You know, if you took away all the blacks and guns, Baltimore would be a pretty safe city village.

fyp
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

There'd still be 200,000+ people, with something like ~12 murders a year.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

lustindarkness

This is why I don't live in Puerto Rico any more:

Quotela Oficina de Prensa de la Policía detalló que el año 2012 cerró con 978 asesinatos, 186 menos que los reportados en el 2011.

2012 had 978 murders, 186 less than 2011.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

It seems almost every country south of the U.S. has crazy-high murder rates.

IIRC, Venezuela beats out Afghanistan for homicide levels.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2013, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 01, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2013, 02:55:45 PM
looks like a pretty big fat 'loosen drug laws' message

:huh: 3 drug-related ones.

lots of unknowns and 61per cent with drug related arrests

Or, it could be a pretty good argument that druggies are just murderous thugs at heart.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on January 04, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2013, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 01, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 01, 2013, 02:55:45 PM
looks like a pretty big fat 'loosen drug laws' message

:huh: 3 drug-related ones.

lots of unknowns and 61per cent with drug related arrests

Or, it could be a pretty good argument that druggies are just murderous thugs at heart.

That's the natural conclusion.  What were you thinking Squeeze, that America's overly strict drug laws drove people to murder?  :huh:

Malthus

Am I reading the stats correctly that less than half of murders were solved? How does that stack up to other cities?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2013, 05:33:40 PM
Am I reading the stats correctly that less than half of murders were solved? How does that stack up to other cities?

That is pretty unusually low I think.  In Texas the statewide is 71% clearance.  Austin has a pretty low number of murders compared to Baltimore (typically between 15 and 30 in a city of 900,000) so our clearance rates are not really very comparable.  When you have over 200 that puts a big strain on police resources.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

The clear up rate for homicide in the UK is 95%; the numbers being low enough for substantial resources to be devoted to each case. It makes one wonder if there is a critical zone where, once a certain number of murders has been reached, clear up rates start to fall and the murder rate responds by increasing even further  :hmm:

Take the drug-related killings in Mexico; even if the police there were wonderfully clever and incorruptible it is hard to see how they could deal with the sheer volume of cases.

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 05, 2013, 05:11:56 AM
The clear up rate for homicide in the UK is 95%; the numbers being low enough for substantial resources to be devoted to each case. It makes one wonder if there is a critical zone where, once a certain number of murders has been reached, clear up rates start to fall and the murder rate responds by increasing even further  :hmm:

Take the drug-related killings in Mexico; even if the police there were wonderfully clever and incorruptible it is hard to see how they could deal with the sheer volume of cases.

There may also be something else at work.  There is a popular perception that cops really don't much care if a drug dealer or drug addict gets killed in a drug deal gone sour, or even killings in a turf war between drug dealers, as long as innocent bystanders aren't getting killed, too.  I'm not sure if that perception is accurate or not--Seedy could address the issue--but if it is, then it might explain why the closure rate is so low when so many of the killings appear to be drug-related.