Your 2012 Demographics of the Day post

Started by CountDeMoney, January 01, 2013, 02:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Lettow77

Memphis only provided 157 murders this year, and we remain unable to convincingly compete with Baltimore. :)

http://wreg.com/2013/01/01/2012-murder-rate-shows-steady-increase/
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

There were 22 murders in HK in the first 10 months in 2012. 

http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/09_statistics/csc.html

We are a city of 7 million. 

Viking

Quote from: Monoriu on January 02, 2013, 02:39:09 AM
There were 22 murders in HK in the first 10 months in 2012. 

http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/09_statistics/csc.html

We are a city of 7 million.

In 2012 the faroe islands had their first murder in 23 years

http://www.d-intl.com/articles/international/2012-11-22/first-murder-23-years-rattles-faroe-islands

considering how many drunken fools they have that is surprising
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

There were approximately 600 cases of manslaughter in 2012 in the whole of Poland.

Brazen

The most recent UK stats date back to last summer and show a drop of 14% in the UK murder rate to a total of 550. Only 39 were due to firearm offences.

It's been a while since we had a prolific serial killer like Harold Shipman, which has skewed past figures.

The most recent stats I can find for London report 101 murders in the year running up to April 2012, out of a population of 8,174,100.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

By the way, the stats I posted include attempted manslaughter (which make up approximately 30% of all manslaughter cases).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 02:56:52 AM
There were approximately 600 cases of manslaughter in 2012 in the whole of Poland.
Do they only prosecute manslaughter cases there because Poles are incapable of premeditation and forethought? ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

There's usually 160-180 homicides in Austria per year (ca. 8,000,000 people). 3/4 are among "friends" or family. In the first three quarters this year Vienna (1.6 million people) had 13 homicides, all of which were solved by police.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

And we're off!  Happy 2013!  :yeah: :cheers:

QuoteTwo men were shot on New Year's Day in Baltimore in the city's first reported gun violence of 2013, police said.

A man was shot in the shoulder about 4 p.m. Tuesday in the 1200 block of Division Street in the Upton neighborhood, according to police. The man's injuries were not considered to be life-threatening, police said.

A second victim was found in the 1300 block of Caroline Street in Oliver about 9 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, police said. Oliver was among the city's most violent neighborhoods in 2012, with at least seven shootings, according to Baltimore Sun crime data.

City police reported a quiet New Year's Eve, with no major incidents throughout the city.

QuoteGunfire rings in a deadly New Year across US
By M. Alex Johnson, NBC News

Seven people were shot, one of them fatally, during a New Year's party early Tuesday in Columbus, Ga., police said — just one of many fatal shootings to be reported across the country as 2013 got off to a bloody start.

Police detectives told NBC station WLTZ of Columbus that six people were shot inside the Majestic Sports Bar about 2:30 a.m. ET. One of the victims was pronounced dead, and the four others were being treated at the Medical Center of Columbus for non-life-threatening injuries.

The Columbus Enquirer reported that the dead man was identified as Charles Foster Jr., 24, of Columbus.

A short time later, a gunshot wounded a person sitting in a car in the club's parking lot. Police said that person was treated and released.

WLTZ reported that police knew of no suspects Tuesday afternoon but said there may have been more than one shooter.

Across the country, the New Year rang in with the sound of gunfire:

Three people, one of them a 17-year-old boy, were shot and killed Tuesday morning in separate incidents in Philadelphia, NBC 10 of Philadelphia reported.

The teenager was shot in the head about 12:30 a.m. ET during an following a house party, police said. About two hours later, an unidentified man was shot and killed in the Frankford area of the city. Then, about 3 a.m., police who were called to a house in North Philadelphia, where they found three gunshot victims. One later died at a hospital.

Police said they were investigating a double homicide Tuesday morning in Elizabeth City, N.C., NBC station WAVY of Portsmouth, Va., reported. The names of both victims were being withheld, but authorities said both were in their early 20s.

Police in Suffolk, Va., said a 31-year-old man died at a hospital after he was shot at a "social gathering" about 3 a.m., WAVY reported.

In Chicago, which hit the grim milestone of 500 homicides in 2012 last week, New Year's Day kept the toll clicking. A 20-year-old was killed Tuesday morning on the West Side, authorities said. He was among 11 people to have been shot so far Tuesday, the Sun-Times reported.

Another man was also shot and killed early Tuesday at a Georgia nightclub, this one the Club Fiesco located in South Augusta, police told NBC station WAGT of Augusta.

A suspect was in custody after a man killed one person and wounded four others Tuesday morning at a convenience store in Lansing, Mich., NBC station WILX of Lansing reported. Three of those injured were reported to be in critical condition.

Four people were shot, one of them fatally, at about 3:30 a.m. at a gasoline station in Lorain, Ohio, NBC station WKYC of Cleveland reported.

Police said a man shot his girlfriend in the head in Port Arthur, Texas, during an argument Tuesday morning, NBC station KBMT of Beaumont reported. She was pronounced dead.

A 19-year-old high school senior was dead and two other people were wounded during a shooting incident about 2 a.m. ET during a New Year's Eve party at an American Legion building in Clayton, N.C., NBC station WNCN of Raleigh reported.

In Corpus Christi, Texas, a 35-year-old man who was found injured in parking lot Tuesday morning died at a hospital, NBC station KRIS of Corpus Christi reported. Police haven't confirmed how the man was wounded, but they arrested a man armed with a handgun after an hourlong standoff at a nearby apartment.

Police in Flint, Mich., said they had no suspects in the death of a man who was found Tuesday morning with a gunshot wound, NBC station WEYI reported.

Indianapolis police who were called to a duplex shortly before 5:30 a.m. found a dead man with what appeared to be a gunshot wound, NBC station WTHR reported. No other details were immediately available.

Sheriff's deputies were investigating a fatal shooting Tuesday afternoon in Columbia, S.C., NBC station WIS of Columbia reported.

CountDeMoney

Even my own neighborhood isn't safe from street crime:

Looks like one less birdie at the bird feeder this morning.

But is it really murder if they're so damned cute? :wub: