NY state sen. arrested in alleged mayor race plot

Started by garbon, April 02, 2013, 10:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-state-sen-arrested-alleged-mayor-race-plot-124047561.html

QuoteA New York state lawmaker was arrested Tuesday along with several other politicians in an alleged plot to bribe his way into the race for mayor of New York City.

Democratic state Sen. Malcolm Smith tried to pay off some of New York City's Republican party bosses to get himself on the ballot as a GOP candidate, federal prosecutors said.

New York City Councilman Dan Halloran and with four other political figures also were charged in what U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara called "an unappetizing smorgasbord of graft and greed involving six officials who together built a corridor of corruption stretching from Queens and the Bronx to Rockland County and all the way up to Albany itself."

Smith "tried to bribe his way to a shot at Gracie Mansion," Bharara said in a statement, referring to the official mayor's residence. "Smith drew up the game plan and Councilman Halloran essentially quarterbacked that drive by finding party chairmen who were wide open to receiving bribes."

In meetings with a cooperating witness and an undercover FBI agent posing as a wealthy real estate developer, Smith agreed to bribe leaders of Republican Party county committees around New York City in an attempt to run for mayor as a Republican, even though he was a registered Democrat, the criminal complaint said.

Also charged are: Bronx County Republican Party Chairman Joseph Savino; Queens County Republican Party Vice Chairman Vincent Tabone; Spring Valley Mayor Noramie Jasmin; and Spring Valley Deputy Mayor Joseph Desmaret.

In exchange for payments to Savino and Tabone, Smith agreed to use his power as a senator to help obtain state funds for a road project in Spring Valley. That, in turn, was to benefit a real estate project that Smith believed was being built by the undercover agent's company in suburban Spring Valley, the complaint alleged.

Charges in the case include bribery, extortion, and wire and mail fraud, Bharara said.

Smith denies wrongdoing, his lawyer, Gerald L. Shargel, told The New York Times.

"Malcolm Smith is a dedicated and highly respected public servant and he steadfastly denies these charges," Shargel said.

Representatives for the other politicians did not immediately respond to comment requests.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

I thought that in New York, you could run in the primary election of multiple parties, so there wasn't anything blocking this guy from running as a Republican anyway.  Have they changed that law?

chipwich

I'm not sure why bribing party officials is a crime. They aren't public servants, are they?

garbon

Here's what another article had:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Malcolm-Smith-Arrest-State-Legislator-New-York-Corruption-Arrest-FBI-Scheme-201017461.html
QuoteThe Democratic field in this year's mayoral race is crowded with several candidates, and getting on the GOP ballot would be a way to sidestep that battle in heavily Democratic New York City. Smith has indicated his interest in running in the Republican primary, but because he is a registered Democrat, he would need to be approved by three of the five county chairmen to get on the primary ballot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.