News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Endearing anti-gay marriage interview

Started by Sheilbh, December 26, 2012, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Not to mention, saying that schools should not be teaching morals is fucking retarded too.

At least schools are better prepared for that than some ignorant broads like merri.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 04:16:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:01:22 PM

Anal sex can be dangerous
Smoking kills.
Here's what drugs can do to you.
Rhythm method is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate. The pill is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate. The condom is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate, and prevents STDs.

This is what I was taught.

But you said that you didn't get moral guidance but then went on to say: "What he's describing is moralizing while providing information. That's exactly what I think should not be happening in the schools."

Which is it? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:15:31 PM
It isn't moralizing when you instruct students specifically not to do certain things - but is moralizing if you say homosexuality is a perfectly acceptable choice? :huh:

Notice I said tend to agree.  That's a qualifier.

Let's say we're discussing heroin.  Teacher says if you start doing heroin you will suck dicks for money for two years before you die.  This is not pleasant, so I suggest you not do heroin. 

That's not exactly my idea of moralizing.  Moralizing to me is more like only really bad people do heroin.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:23:07 PM

Smoking kills.
Rhythm method is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate. The pill is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate. The condom is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate, and prevents STDs.

But you said that you didn't get moral guidance but then went on to say: "What he's describing is moralizing while providing information. That's exactly what I think should not be happening in the schools."

I don't see moralizing in what I was taught. I see information. What you were taught, however, included information AND moralizing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Smoking kills.

It's remarkable how you are trying to keep decorum and straighten this out with her without being a bitch about it because you two met. Or at least really fun to watch.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 04:18:16 PM
I hate it that whenever I grow to like merri, she never fails to come up with some absolutely ignorant viewpoint.

Shocking that you and I would disagree on how to teach children... and you'd call me ignorant for my viewpoint on it.

I'm devestated. :mellow:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 04:24:21 PM

Smoking kills.

I don't see moralizing in what I was taught. I see information. What you were taught, however, included information AND moralizing.

Gotcha, okay.

Also I realized I fucked up on that first one, it was "anal sex can be dangerous, so don't do it. designed as an exit only area, not an entrance."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 04:26:19 PM
It's remarkable how you are trying to keep decorum and straighten this out with her without being a bitch about it because you two met. Or at least really fun to watch.

I don't see how that's true at all. As in, I don't see what bearing that has.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2013, 04:23:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:15:31 PM
It isn't moralizing when you instruct students specifically not to do certain things - but is moralizing if you say homosexuality is a perfectly acceptable choice? :huh:

Notice I said tend to agree.  That's a qualifier.

Let's say we're discussing heroin.  Teacher says if you start doing heroin you will suck dicks for money for two years before you die.  This is not pleasant, so I suggest you not do heroin. 

That's not exactly my idea of moralizing.  Moralizing to me is more like only really bad people do heroin.

Except that it isn't a polite suggestion but rather a "do not do this". Pretty sure that's a comment on what's right and what's wrong.  See how I amended that anal sex one. Pretty much suggested to me at the time that it'd be wrong to have anal sex - which I recall struck me as rather homophobic.

merithyn

I wonder, Marti, how pleased you'd be if the teacher taught that while homosexuality is no longer believed to be a mental illness nor a choice, it is still considered an abhoration by the majority of the population and it's better to not allow others to know if that's what you are.

This is moralizing while providing information. It doesn't belong in the classroom.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 04:30:58 PM
I wonder, Marti, how pleased you'd be if the teacher taught that while homosexuality is no longer believed to be a mental illness nor a choice, it is still considered an abhoration by the majority of the population and it's better to not allow others to know if that's what you are.

This is moralizing while providing information. It doesn't belong in the classroom.

Except that teaching that human sexual orientations are "equal" (unlike, say, pedophilia, which is a mutation of existing sexuality) is not a moral judgement but the understanding of modern psychology.

As I said before, would you say that "homosexuality is not a choice" is a moral judgement, too? As this is a scientific fact but some religious idiots do not accept it.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 04:32:42 PM
As I said before, would you say that "homosexuality is not a choice" is a moral judgement, too? As this is a scientific fact but some religious idiots do not accept it.

Well do you mean the attraction or the physical acts?

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 04:30:58 PM

Considering that it can be emotionally damaging to stay in the closet - I'd hope schools wouldn't promote that. ;)

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 04:32:42 PM

Well do you mean the attraction or the physical acts?

Attraction.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:30:34 PM
Except that it isn't a polite suggestion but rather a "do not do this". Pretty sure that's a comment on what's right and what's wrong.  See how I amended that anal sex one. Pretty much suggested to me at the time that it'd be wrong to have anal sex - which I recall struck me as rather homophobic.

Again, I see a difference between do not do this because of all the terrible consequences I mentioned and do not do this because it's a sin/depraved act/whatever.

Out of curiosity, did your guy say don't have unprotected anal sex or don't have anal sex at all?