Bogus NY Times Trend Piece: Credit Score Dating

Started by Count, December 26, 2012, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2012, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2012, 01:21:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 26, 2012, 01:17:02 PM
I've been doing this for years. :huh:

Most real people have taken this sort of thing into account when it comes to taking the next step with that special future ex spouse for years now.  It's just Count bitching about it.
It's definitely something I'm curious about, but asking about it straight out seems like such a dick and counter-productive move.

Especially on a first date.  I can understand having that conversion before moving in together or starting to think seriously about marriage, but not before sex.

Admiral Yi

It makes sense for grabon the gold digger to ask for a score; less so for Banker Boy interviewing potential trophy wife flight attendants.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2012, 01:04:26 PM
QuoteMs. Dollard’s credit score is so low, around 600, that she hasn’t been able to qualify for a car loan. She sympathizes with her boyfriend’s position because he “doesn’t ever want to be accountable for the irresponsible financial decision I made,” she said. Her boyfriend declined to be interviewed.

More  :lol:
The $150k-in-debt mostly unemployed Ms. Dollard has her FB profile completely open. She is 26-weeks pregnant. The boyfriend is a full-time corporate lawyer and part-time Army Reserve officer.
She fails a credit check, but he failed the contraceptives check. The boyfriend will be paying her for the rest of his life. :nelson:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 01:29:46 PM
It makes sense for grabon the gold digger to ask for a score; less so for Banker Boy interviewing potential trophy wife flight attendants.
Actually, it may make more sense for the banker boy.  Few people are so rich that a profligate spouse can't put a serious dent in their finances.  At the same time, banker boys are probably the ones who can get away with being uncouth dicks, and they also have the most practice with it.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on December 26, 2012, 01:31:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2012, 01:04:26 PM
QuoteMs. Dollard's credit score is so low, around 600, that she hasn't been able to qualify for a car loan. She sympathizes with her boyfriend's position because he "doesn't ever want to be accountable for the irresponsible financial decision I made," she said. Her boyfriend declined to be interviewed.

More  :lol:
The $150k-in-debt Ms. Dollard has her FB profile completely open. She is 26-weeks pregnant. The boyfriend is a full-time corporate lawyer and part-time Army Reserve officer.
She fails a credit check, but he failed the contraceptives check. The boyfriend will be paying her for the rest of his life. :nelson:
:pinch:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2012, 01:31:52 PM
Actually, it may make more sense for the banker boy.  Few people are so rich that a profligate spouse can't put a serious dent in their finances.  At the same time, banker boys are probably the ones who can get away with being uncouth dicks, and they also have the most practice with it.

More than for a gold digger?  Stable cash flow is the entire point of the excercise for a gold digger.

And anyway, the sugar daddy has techniques for managing profligacy.  Like a low limit credit card, or a cash allowance.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 01:36:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

More than for a gold digger?  Stable cash flow is the entire point of the excercise for a gold digger.

And anyway, the sugar daddy has techniques for managing profligacy.  Like a low limit credit card, or a cash allowance.

Yeah but they are thinking with their penises not their brains.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

What an alien concept.

I mean, it makes sense that economic factors play into a relationship - especially once it goes beyond the initial stage - but I find the American fascination with the credit score pretty strange.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on December 26, 2012, 01:41:58 PM

If they just want to get in the dick work they can fuck a bridge and tunnel secretary.  Finding a suitable trophy wife is about much more than pussy.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2012, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 26, 2012, 01:41:58 PM

If they just want to get in the dick work they can fuck a bridge and tunnel secretary.  Finding a suitable trophy wife is about much more than pussy.

True enough. We seem to be talking about several things at once. That said I wonder how many of the younger banker boys do it right.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 26, 2012, 01:42:25 PM
but I find the American fascination with the credit score pretty strange.

Unfortunately, it's one of those things that pervade so many aspects of our lives, whether it's correct or incorrect.  And if it's incorrect, good luck getting it fixed.

That's right, only in America can the economic trajectory of your life be forever altered by the data entry skills of someone that couldn't get work at the DMV.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2012, 02:28:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 26, 2012, 01:42:25 PM
but I find the American fascination with the credit score pretty strange.

Unfortunately, it's one of those things that pervade so many aspects of our lives, whether it's correct or incorrect.  And if it's incorrect, good luck getting it fixed.

That's right, only in America can the economic trajectory of your life be forever altered by the data entry skills of someone that couldn't get work at the DMV.

It's only a step or two removed from Terry Gillian's Brazil ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Count

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2012, 01:21:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 26, 2012, 01:17:02 PM
I've been doing this for years. :huh:

Most real people have taken this sort of thing into account when it comes to taking the next step with that special future ex spouse for years now.  It's just Count bitching about it.

There's a big difference between taking it into account deep into a relationship and asking on the first date (which I doubt happens very often, hence me calling this story bogus).

For what it's worth, I don't know my credit score (only ever taken out federal loans for school) and I have enormous student debt.  :sleep:
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

mongers

Besides, non-Northern English middle class women have much finer attuned antenna.   :(

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"