News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ads in cinemas - how long is too long?

Started by Martinus, December 25, 2012, 07:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It's been a while since I've been to a cinema and it's the Hobbit opening night but it has been going for 20 minutes past the hour the movie was scheduled to start and still counting. Wtf???

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Syt

I think we got half an hour of ads and trailers in the IMAX recently. Worst was one for a local medical practitioner who ran a before/after ad about removing varicose veins. Because that's what I want to see in IMAX quality. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Scipio

Four trailers per film max.  Any more than that, and you won't remember the content.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

Trailers are one thing, but a stream of car ads, medical ads, and dry cleaners etc is just too fucking much.  Not at the prices the theaters charge.
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 25, 2012, 08:47:40 AM
Trailers are one thing, but a stream of car ads, medical ads, and dry cleaners etc is just too fucking much.  Not at the prices the theaters charge.

Yeah, pretty much. They showed maybe 4-5 trailers, but the rest was just ads. Going for half an hour. Fucking disgrace. At least they should start them a bit before the screening time.

And this was followed by the Hobbit.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

I usually don't mind ads if they're cinematic.  But then again I hardly ever go to the theater.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 25, 2012, 09:39:37 PM
In China, movies start on time. :)

If they don't the theater manager is shot and the cost of the bullets is forwarded to his family.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I don't begrudge a few ads, but more than about five minutes' worth and you're pushing my patience.

And they're usually not cinematic.  They're often in 1.33 and look crummy.

I don't mind a fair number of trailers (there's a limit, but I'd say it's like eight), but they really bug me when it's the same kind of movie over and over.  I think it was when I went to Prometheus or maybe Seven Psychopaths, that they played like four gangster movie trailers in row (and two were period pieces--one of them was that movie that got pushed back because retards decided to reshoot a scene where SHOCK HORROR SENSITIVITY some gangsters or maybe they're cops (?) blast some enemies through a theater screen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2012, 09:41:47 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 25, 2012, 09:39:37 PM
In China, movies start on time. :)

If they don't the theater manager is shot and the cost of the bullets is forwarded to his family.

As it should be. :yes:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

katmai

I remember working at movie theater back when they first starting doing ads, and the amount of people who came out of theater to complain how dare we were spoiling their movie going experience.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 25, 2012, 07:50:37 AM
I get pissy if I miss the trailers.

:rolleyes:  My wife is the same way.  I go to watch the movie itself, nothing else.

I do really like the ads telling me not to pirate movies, though.  Makes me want to go home and do just that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall