News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spider Makes Spider Puppet

Started by Malthus, December 20, 2012, 05:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted some wierd creepy-crawly news, and I know you all have been missing it so much ...  :P But you gotta admit, this is freaky.

http://blog.perunature.com/2012/12/new-species-of-decoy-spider-likely.html

Exec Sum: A tiny spider that makes a larger "decoy spider" puppet out of leaf litter and then jiggles it with silk threads to deter predators.

QuoteFrom afar, it appears to be a medium sized spider about an inch across, possibly dead and dried out, hanging in the center of a spider web along the side of the trail. Nothing too out of the ordinary for the Amazon. As you approach, the spider starts to wobble quickly forward and back, letting you know this spider is, in fact, alive.

Step in even closer and things start to get weird- that spider form you were looking at is actually made up of tiny bits of leaf, debris, and dead insects. The confusion sets in. How can something be constructed to look like a spider, how is it moving, and what kind of creature made this!?

It turns out the master designer behind this somewhat creepy form is in fact a tiny spider, only about 5mm in body length, that is hiding behind or above that false, bigger spider made up of debris. After discussing with several spider experts, we've determined it is quite probable that this spider is a never-before-seen species in the genus Cyclosa. This genus is known for having spiders that put debris in their webs to either attract prey or, as in this case, confuse anything trying to eat them.

Edit: I am inspired to make a larger, more frightening lawyer puppet, and jiggle it outside my office. Maybe one that looks like CC.  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on December 20, 2012, 05:13:09 PM
Edit: I am inspired to make a larger, more frightening lawyer puppet, and jiggle it outside my office.

Just park an ambulance.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2012, 05:42:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 20, 2012, 05:13:09 PM
Edit: I am inspired to make a larger, more frightening lawyer puppet, and jiggle it outside my office.

Just park an ambulance.

CC doesn't practice that type of law.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Phillip V

Cool. Reminds me of armies deploying decoy figures of soldiers and cannon to trick their opponents. Or even scarecrows.

Admiral Yi

That's pretty intense.

Anyone considered the possibility of a hoax?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 08:04:02 PM
That's pretty intense.

Certainly possible. Not sure how one could tell.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 08:04:02 PM
That's pretty intense.

Spiders are fairly trustworthy in my experience.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Strange. You'd think that catching prey and staying hidden would be more of a concern than scaring off predators.
██████
██████
██████