Started by viper37, December 20, 2012, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I try to please Thor, Odin and Frey.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2012, 02:08:35 PM
Well, for Jews, the birth of Christ doesn't mean much, I guess.  I don't know if secular Jews not living in Israel do celebrate Christmas with their family, or if they pass over to simply celebrate Hannukah when it is not at the same time as Christmas season.

Heh.  No Christmas in Israel is just another work day.
I figured that about Israel, but those in Canada, US, Europe, where we have a day or a week off, I'm curious if they nonetheless picked up the tradition.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on December 20, 2012, 02:19:45 PM
I try to please Thor, Odin and Frey.
Good.  Are they, pleased I mean?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2012, 02:24:40 PM
Well, for Jews, the birth of Christ doesn't mean much, I guess.  I don't know if secular Jews not living in Israel do celebrate Christmas with their family, or if they pass over to simply celebrate Hannukah when it is not at the same time as Christmas season.

I figured that about Israel, but those in Canada, US, Europe, where we have a day or a week off, I'm curious if they nonetheless picked up the tradition.

The stereotype is they like to go to the movies on the 25th since they have the day off and they theatres are half empty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2012, 02:24:40 PM

One of my partners makes a habit of telling people he is available on the 23-26 for arbitrations.   :D

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 02:28:24 PM

The stereotype is they like to go to the movies on the 25th since they have the day off and they theatres are half empty.

And out for Chinese food. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Valmy

Yeah the Chinese food one is pretty common.  I recall a Simpsons gag about a Jew being visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past and it was just a vision of lots of Chinese Food.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 02:45:37 PM
Yeah the Chinese food one is pretty common.  I recall a Simpsons gag about a Jew being visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past and it was just a vision of lots of Chinese Food.

That's inverted racism.

CountDeMoney

Working Xmas Day, it was always Atman's Deli and their massive corned beef sandwiches.  Whether on the dashboard of a squad car or at the bail office, that was my traditional Xmas dinner throughout most of the 1990s.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 20, 2012, 02:14:05 PM
24th - baking and then attendance for Christmas eve service at the church chosen for that year
25th - meal of sorts (kinda potlucky) and open presents with mother's extended family (at some point in the afternoon my siblings and I sneak off to see my father's extended family for a few hours).
26th - go to theater to see "Christmas" movie picked for that year.

Is your aunt still off of Kwanzaa?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 02:28:24 PM

I know a lot of non-Jews who do that.  That was my best friend's family's tradition and his dad was a Methodist minister.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2012, 02:48:57 PM
Working Xmas Day, it was always Atman's Deli and their massive corned beef sandwiches.  Whether on the dashboard of a squad car or at the bail office, that was my traditional Xmas dinner throughout most of the 1990s.

:thumbsup: 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 20, 2012, 02:50:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 20, 2012, 02:14:05 PM
24th - baking and then attendance for Christmas eve service at the church chosen for that year
25th - meal of sorts (kinda potlucky) and open presents with mother's extended family (at some point in the afternoon my siblings and I sneak off to see my father's extended family for a few hours).
26th - go to theater to see "Christmas" movie picked for that year.

Is your aunt still off of Kwanzaa?

I think she gave up that bit of African resurgence when everyone on my father's belittled it. I don't think anyone uses her "African" name, anymore. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I spent one Christmas at a nudey bar.  That was pretty grim.

Not least because the fuglier dancers got stuck with the shift.