News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Christmas in your corner?

Started by viper37, December 20, 2012, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on December 20, 2012, 12:41:02 PM
I was going to laugh at you for having to travel to Winnipeg, but then I realized that the only advantage that Grande Prairie and Peace River have over Winnipeg is that they're closer and they don't flood as often.  Well, Grande Prairie doesn't flood at least.  :(
Jesus, talk about a cripple fight.... :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on December 20, 2012, 12:42:27 PM
I was going to laugh at you for having to travel to Winnipeg, but then I realized that the only advantage that Grande Prairie and Peace River have over Winnipeg is that they're closer and they don't flood as often.  Well, Grande Prairie doesn't flood at least.  :(
Jesus, talk about a cripple fight.... :sleep:

:lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 11:47:54 AM
My family is out of town, so we tend to alternate between going to Winnipeg for Christmas, and staying home.  This year we stay home.

I can think of one thing Winnipeg has that GP/PR doesn't! :w00t:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Christmas dinner with friends' family on Christmas Eve (the 24th is the "big" day in Germany and Austria - getting together with the family, having dinner, exchanging presents . . . - 25th/26th are more for visiting other relatives etc.), then relaxing and probably catching up on my unwatched blu rays.

Going home would mean an get-together with my Mom, my sister and her two grown up kids, with lots of awkwardly trying to find a topic we can all talk about and watching TV ad nauseam.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 12:47:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 11:47:54 AM
My family is out of town, so we tend to alternate between going to Winnipeg for Christmas, and staying home.  This year we stay home.
I can think of one thing Winnipeg has that GP/PR doesn't! :w00t:
An empty hockey arena?  I suspect you're right.  :lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I'll be at the shelter. Then go to my sister's house late in the afternoon.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 12:32:25 PM
December 21: I'll do a little kind of Winter Solstice thing like meditate, light candles, and pray for snow. (:glare:)

December 22: We'll open presents with the kids. I'll also probably make my Baked Potato Roasted Garlic Clam Chowder with freshly baked crusty bread.

December 23: Kids go to their dad's house. I clean the house.

December 24: I work during the day, then I'm going to services at the UU church at 7:00pm, out for Chinese Buffet, then to midnight mass services at the Episcopalian church (I love the music, candles, insense, prettily-dressed people :wub:).

December 25: Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I don't change out of my pajamas, I don't cook any food (except maybe some oatmeal if I'm feeling like a hot breakfast), I don't plan anything. We order pizza (or Chinese, if no pizza place is open) for dinner. This year, I'm considering a marathon of Tales from the Green Valley or A Tudor Feast or A Victorian Christmas. I'll also likely be painting or otherwise crafting while watching the shows.

:cool:

I could make it to Stonehenge for it, but I was up that way earlier and too many of the fords and minor roads are flooded out. 

You have excellent taste, their latest series is about the 'Wartime Farm' and was filmed at a farm just the other side of Southampton Water from here.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2012, 01:32:41 PM
:cool:

I could make it to Stonehenge for it, but I was up that way earlier and too many of the fords and minor roads are flooded out. 

One of these days I'd love to be at Stonehenge for one of the solstices to see how the Neo-Druids celebrate it. :cool:

QuoteYou have excellent taste, their latest series is about the 'Wartime Farm' and was filmed at a farm just the other side of Southampton Water from here.   :)

Haven't heard of the new one. I'll have to look into it. My favorite is still the Victorian Farm. It was my introduction to the series, and I absolutely love it. I have a massive crush on Fonz :wub: but I love the others, as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Neo Druids. Pfft. Rome had the right idea with the real ones.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 01:45:08 PM
One of these days I'd love to be at Stonehenge for one of the solstices to see how the Neo-Druids celebrate it. :cool:
They celebrate it with a wicker man.  :menace: :punk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on December 20, 2012, 01:56:14 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 01:45:08 PM
They celebrate it with a wicker man.  :menace: :punk:

Um, I think that's a spring thing. Maybe May Day?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 20, 2012, 01:47:44 PM
Neo Druids. Pfft. Rome had the right idea with the real ones.

My eyes can't roll back far enough when she says silly things like that.  It's like calling people who played "Panzer General" Neo-Nazi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 20, 2012, 11:33:52 AM
I'm a little confused by the idea of non-christians not celebrating Christmas. Insomuch as non-christian here means "atheists, agnostics, and other assembled white disbelievers" they are culturally Christian anyway- Christmas has always been part of the society they grew up in, and its such a nice thing. I don't know anyone who'd turn their back on it, and to do so really seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Well, for Jews, the birth of Christ doesn't mean much, I guess.  I don't know if secular Jews not living in Israel do celebrate Christmas with their family, or if they pass over to simply celebrate Hannukah when it is not at the same time as Christmas season.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

24th - baking and then attendance for Christmas eve service at the church chosen for that year
25th - meal of sorts (kinda potlucky) and open presents with mother's extended family (at some point in the afternoon my siblings and I sneak off to see my father's extended family for a few hours).
26th - go to theater to see "Christmas" movie picked for that year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2012, 02:08:35 PM
Well, for Jews, the birth of Christ doesn't mean much, I guess.  I don't know if secular Jews not living in Israel do celebrate Christmas with their family, or if they pass over to simply celebrate Hannukah when it is not at the same time as Christmas season.

Heh.  No Christmas in Israel is just another work day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."