News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Camera Advice

Started by alfred russel, November 26, 2012, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on December 16, 2012, 01:23:18 PM
I use primarily 16-35 & 24-70 for most everything.

So...I've tried researching this, and am coming up a bit empty....

From what I read, below 35mm is wide view, and above 70mm is telescopic, with 35mm to 70mm being normal. I have no clue what the first number means. It also seems like there are lots of other factors, but I don't understand those either.

Fuck this is hard. This is the camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Translucent-Mirror-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B005IHAIDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355684978&sr=8-1&keywords=a65+sony+camera

Should I just get this and then sign up for a photography class? I assume this lens is decent and would allow me to zoom and stuff?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Yeah you'll be fine with that lens :D

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PRC

I recently purchased a Pentax K30 and I have been very happy with it.  Great camera, performs very well and is highly water resistant if you're going to be doing a lot of outdoor shooting.

mongers

Quote from: katmai on December 16, 2012, 08:08:05 PM
Yeah you'll be fine with that lens :D

Yeah, people sometimes get hung up on the lenses and technology and forget the photography; this guy generally used one fixed lens, get one of his books, it'll inspire you:

http://www.amazon.com/Henri-Cartier-Bresson-%C3%80-Propos-Paris/dp/0821224964/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1355714919&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=cartier+bresson
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Camera is ordered.

The average car purchase is less confusing than that was. Thanks for the help everyone.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Found a nice piece of glass, whilst I was clearing some stuff out, a Pentax 50mm 1.7, the optics look A1; I'll try it out on the dslr this weekend, weather permitting and see if it's up to anything. 

Scipio

Bought the wife a Nikon D80, an extra battery, and a 32 GB SDHC card.

She's gone fucking bonkers with it.  I introduced her to manual focusing of photographs (I grew up with my mother taking thousands of B&W photos and developing them in her own darkroom).  Digital is fucktons easier.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Warspite

I'm going to reiterate the idea that you should take photography classes or read a book on it.

The most expensive camera in the world cannot compensate for a lack of technique. You absolutely must know the basics of how to use light in order to take a good shot. For example, it can be as simple as taking photos of people outside with the sun in front of them - not behind them.

But the good news is that the basics of light and composition are actually quite easy to learn. Most people never bother with this step, which is why most photos aren't very good.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on December 22, 2012, 07:00:28 AM
I'm going to reiterate the idea that you should take photography classes or read a book on it.

The most expensive camera in the world cannot compensate for a lack of technique. You absolutely must know the basics of how to use light in order to take a good shot. For example, it can be as simple as taking photos of people outside with the sun in front of them - not behind them.

But the good news is that the basics of light and composition are actually quite easy to learn. Most people never bother with this step, which is why most photos aren't very good.

Indeed and I'd suggest reading/looking at the work of great photographers for inspiration.

Maladict

Got a nice deal on a Canon 650d while in Germany.
Pretty pleased with the quality of the first shots.  :)