News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What charities do you guys donate to?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 16, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Had a guy come in the other day while I was there, pulled up in a Jeep, had an old brownish tan boxer on a rope leash jump out.  Said he wanted to surrender the dog, he was leaving town the next day.
Shelter doesn't take surrenders without an appointment, and they're backed up about 2 months for dogs anyway.  He was offered a list of other shelters and no-kill animal control centers, but he was having none of it, and walked out with the dog.
Less than 5 minutes later, hear squawking on the radio from one of the dog walkers that there was a loose dog on the far side of the property, running along the road. 
Description?  An old brownish tan boxer, chasing down the road along the property line, going after the Jeep that just dumped her.  Sweet thing, too.  About 10 years old, by the look of the teeth and the grayed muzzle.  Doesn't know why she's there now.

Asshole.  Really wish I got a look at his plates.

Jacob

Fuck that guy.

I'm going to hug my dog now.

Martinus

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 12:05:40 AM
Had a guy come in the other day while I was there, pulled up in a Jeep, had an old brownish tan boxer on a rope leash jump out.  Said he wanted to surrender the dog, he was leaving town the next day.
Shelter doesn't take surrenders without an appointment, and they're backed up about 2 months for dogs anyway.  He was offered a list of other shelters and no-kill animal control centers, but he was having none of it, and walked out with the dog.
Less than 5 minutes later, hear squawking on the radio from one of the dog walkers that there was a loose dog on the far side of the property, running along the road. 
Description?  An old brownish tan boxer, chasing down the road along the property line, going after the Jeep that just dumped her.  Sweet thing, too.  About 10 years old, by the look of the teeth and the grayed muzzle.  Doesn't know why she's there now.

Asshole.  Really wish I got a look at his plates.

Fuck.  If you're really in dire straights, at least have the guts to put the dog down yourself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Yeah, that's the ticket. :huh:

If I ever had to give up my cats, the plan is not "break their necks so they won't have to live without me."

I'm not entirely convinced even a no-kill shelter is better than abandonment.  I mean, would you rather be homeless or in prison?  It's a tough call.  I guess I'd choose the no-kill shelter since they may be incapable of survival outside human care.  I'd at least go to the trouble to abandon them in a perennially warm climate, like Florida, which would have a better selection of potential prey from rodents to bugs, and which would not threaten an exposure death.

Not defending the boxer guy.  He sounds like a prick.  Just ruminating on what the ethically best method of treating animals really is.  I'm not sure what the percentage of cats that get lateraled to new homes in a no-kill shelter is, or if the conditions are truly humane.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2012, 02:47:18 AM
Just ruminating on what the ethically best method of treating animals really is.  I'm not sure what the percentage of cats that get lateraled to new homes in a no-kill shelter is, or if the conditions are truly humane.

That's because you're a goofball, and have no exposure.  They live better than you do.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Anyway, I donate to BAF* and P4BDMF**. :P

*Boyfriend Appreciation Fund
** People For Better Decoration of Marcin's Flat

Caliga

The American Red Cross (both personally and I direct corporate donations that way)
NPR

I think we've given to the ACLU before because they constantly send us solicitations, but I don't recall doing it for sure.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on December 17, 2012, 08:05:01 AM
The American Red Cross (both personally and I direct corporate donations that way)

Blood, money, or both?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2012, 01:43:22 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 12:05:40 AM
hear squawking on the radio from one of the dog walkers

:huh:

We have little 2-way radios for the dog walkers, in case they lose the dog or have trouble with one or something.  It's over 350 acres.

Darth Wagtaros

toys for Tots; the local paper's version of Toys for Tos; Saint Jude Cancer Fund; Dana-Farber; and often the American Legion.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points