News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Xmas Music Everywhere - Will It Ever Stop?

Started by Martinus, December 16, 2012, 06:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok so with Poland being always late to the party, only few years ago we started to go into a full Xmas mode, with Jingle Bells and White Christmas playing all the time everywhere - at shops, malls, gyms, restaurants, cafes etc.

So my question to people from more advanced countries is this: does it ever roll back or will it just get worse and worse each year?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

It'll get better as more and more people are fed up with it. There's a small Christmas tree sale on the square, but besides that there's surprisingly no Christmas decorations near where I live, not in the cafés or shops at least. There's the occasional light decoration in apartment windows.

In the country side it's horrible though, it seems every other house is alit with fancy decorations.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

It keeps getting earlier and earlier. The only thing standing in its way is Halloween.
If it wasn't for the tacky Halloween shit being flogged at the end of October, and Easter, then it would only be a matter of time before Christmas formed a loop with itself.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2012, 06:59:35 AM
Look at these whiny bitches.

It's nice that Languish is finally becoming a more professional sport, with its own full time players, experienced commentators etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Personally I thought I really performed more dynamically than usual, putting in a little optimism here and only some whining there.

Just taking it one post at time, focusing on my own writing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on December 16, 2012, 06:49:28 AM
it would only be a matter of time before Christmas formed a loop with itself.

This would be a bad thing? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2012, 06:59:35 AM
Look at these whiny bitches.

:D
I can understand why people get fed up with the way Christmas is thrown in their faces this time of year, but it doesn't bother me at all and I think if someone like me can live with it so can they. I've rather come to enjoy this time of year, after all. :hug:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on December 16, 2012, 09:38:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 16, 2012, 06:49:28 AM
it would only be a matter of time before Christmas formed a loop with itself.

This would be a bad thing? :unsure:

Well, it would offend the Euroweenies, so--no.

Syt

The x-mas music isn't the problem. Kids already playing with firecrackers is.

Sale of firecrackers is open in Austria in the week (or 2?) before New Year's Eve, and it's officially allowed to set them off for a few hours on 31st Dec.

Still, kids get their hands on the stuff imported from the Wild East and turn the town gradually into an acoustic re-enactment of the Vienna Offensive, culminating in the immediate week before and the ten days after New Year's.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I thought Xmas was limited to African-Americans?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Jon Stewart made a great comment on the Daily Show a week or two ago: "Christmas is getting so big it's eating other holidays- watch out, Halloween, you're next."

I don't think he realized quite how accurate he was.  Most of us entertainment retailers started gearing up for Christmas all the way back on November 1.  I've already had to listen to Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" thousands of times this season (not a huge exaggeration- hundreds, at least!), and there are still a couple weeks left to go!
Experience bij!

derspiess

I like it. I don't pay any attention to it til right after Thanksgiving, and I don't really tire of it. Kinda adds something when you have kids, even neices and nephews.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

It starts on November 1st & it should never end!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.