Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Vastly expanded AWB that also requires registering of all grandfathered guns under the NFA.

0% chance of passing the House. I'd wager 50/50 odds at best of getting out of the Senate. Even with pro-gun Democrats like Joe Manchin flip-flopping, I'm not sure he's flopped that far.

DGuller

Maybe she wasn't sure whether to use "clip" or "magazine", and didn't want to look foolish?  Or maybe she though, quite rightly, that laws shouldn't be written in a way that makes them easy to circumvent in letter, so that some douchebag wouldn't be able to claim that his 100 round box isn't a magazine?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 01:42:09 PM
Maybe she wasn't sure whether to use "clip" or "magazine", and didn't want to look foolish?  Or maybe she though, quite rightly, that laws shouldn't be written in a way that makes them easy to circumvent in letter, so that some douchebag wouldn't be able to claim that his 100 round box isn't a magazine?

It's "devices."  :secret:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2012, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 01:42:09 PM

It's "devices."  :secret:
:mad: Are you studying to become an English teacher?

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 27, 2012, 01:40:17 PM
Vastly expanded AWB that also requires registering of all grandfathered guns under the NFA.

0% chance of passing the House. I'd wager 50/50 odds at best of getting out of the Senate. Even with pro-gun Democrats like Joe Manchin flip-flopping, I'm not sure he's flopped that far.

He won't.  Back before Christmas he said he had seen a copy of the bill & wouldn't support it.  He then went on to speak in vague terms about "clips" and how he favored "conversations".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 01:47:01 PM
:mad: Are you studying to become an English teacher?

Why are you venting your uncontrollable slavic rage at me?  It was Speish' gag.

Ed Anger

DG would like a diagram of these devices. His masters in Moscow are getting tired of blueberry recipes he sends them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 27, 2012, 02:14:03 PM
DG would like a diagram of these devices. His masters in Moscow are getting tired of blueberry recipes he sends them.
:rolleyes: I eat my blueberries raw.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 27, 2012, 02:14:03 PM
:rolleyes: I eat my blueberries raw.

Which is why they sicken you. Your vodka ridden Slavic body can't handle the freshness of American fruits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on December 27, 2012, 01:30:48 PM
Here's a summary of Feinstein's wish list, er, bill:  http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

QuoteIn January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devises.

Heh.

As OVB said. It will go down like the Titanic.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

$20 says some kind of gun legislation passes before the end of 2013.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2012, 03:55:39 PM
$20 says some kind of gun legislation passes before the end of 2013.

I could see something passing, just not the bill as Feinstein wrote it.

Requiring registration of every existing firearm under the NFA is simply insane compared to where the public and many politicians are on the issue. That one is probably gone right away.

I'm almost tempted to take your bet because the Republican House has basically been one of the most uncompromising entities in history even on stuff they needed to compromise on, so I'd be shocked if they compromised on something like this. But a lot of dead kids, maybe possibly, could get a AWB similar to the 1994 pushed through again.

Something to keep in mind is the Hastert Rule. Unless a "majority of the majority" agrees with the legislation no GOP Speaker will even bring legislation to the House floor, so even if it would pass with 100% of House Dems and a few GOP, at least if Boehner intends to keep faith with the Hastert Rule it would never see a vote.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 27, 2012, 04:12:17 PM
I could see something passing, just not the bill as Feinstein wrote it.

Obviously.  I foresee something like that Mickey Mouse bill that Clinton signed, the one that banned foreign made AK clones only.

Barrister

A word to the wise, USAians - gun registries are not effective.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.