Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So are these 'semi-military' type rifles 'better'/more useful to the urban terrorists like this guy and the 20 year old in Newtown, than a pray and spray AK47/clone ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on December 25, 2012, 03:05:23 PM
So are these 'semi-military' type rifles 'better'/more useful to the urban terrorists like this guy and the 20 year old in Newtown, than a pray and spray AK47/clone ?

If I understand tour question, be thankful they did not have fully auto.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on December 25, 2012, 04:04:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 25, 2012, 03:05:23 PM

If I understand tour question, be thankful they did not have fully auto.

Yes, you see talk in media about assault weapons, but that's not too useful a description, so I wanted to know how it compares with military issue.

Basically it's only a notch or two below what Seigy would use in the field, baring all the ancillary equipments a soldier/marine has and the combat training ?

Admiral Yi

You can't legally buy weapons that fire full automatic.  Like a Uzi, you hold the trigger down and the magazine empties out. 

These are semi-automatics, which means each time you pull the trigger one bullet comes out.  Like most handguns.

My understanding is the US military decided to do away with full auto on its latest iteration of the M-16.  Now you can switch it between semi auto and three round burst mode.

I also understand it's relatively easy to make a slight modification to a legal semi auto rifle to enable it to fire full auto.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 25, 2012, 03:00:58 PM
QuoteCops: Killer of 2 NY firemen had same make, caliber rifle used in Connecticut school massacre
By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, December 25, 12:18 PM

WEBSTER, N.Y. — Police say the man who lured firefighters in Webster, N.Y., into a deadly ambush had the same make and caliber semiautomatic rifle as the one used in the Connecticut school massacre.

Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said Tuesday that 62-year-old William Spengler was armed with a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle, a .38-caliber revolver and a 12-gauge shotgun in Monday's ambush. Spengler killed two firefighters and wounded two others before fatally shooting himself.

Police have not said which weapon or weapons were used to shoot the firefighters.

Spengler, who set his house on fire to lure the first responders, left a note saying he wanted to burn down the neighborhood and kill as many people as possible. But the note didn't give a motive for the shooting.

My brother's brother and sister in law live in Webster and belong to that volunteer FD, and his brother in law is a cop who worked with the one guy who was also a cop. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

The motive is looking twisted...

It is sounding like his mother died in October. Left everything to the sister and the West Webster Fire Department. No one liked him in the area but tolerated him for his mother's sake. Once she died, he was basically cut off from money and shunned.

So, he killed the sister, tried to burn down the houses nearby, and ambushed the firefighters because they got money from his dead mother...

I love that the liberals placed a limit on parole. I have several murderers I supervise in the area that will be on for life based on their crimes. He should have been in that category.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

mongers

Quote from: Strix on December 25, 2012, 09:16:53 PM

It is sounding like his mother died in October. Left everything to the sister and the West Webster Fire Department. No one liked him in the area but tolerated him for his mother's sake. Once she died, he was basically cut off from money and shunned.

So, he killed the sister, tried to burn down the houses nearby, and ambushed the firefighters because they got money from his dead mother...

I love that the liberals placed a limit on parole. I have several murderers I supervise in the area that will be on for life based on their crimes. He should have been in that category.

Interesting, yep sounds like a more sensible approach.

DGuller

The problem with this knee-jerk thinking is that it's a one-way ratchet.  Whenever the punishment falls short of summary execution by the arresting officers, you always have the possibility of a bad guy doing some bad thing again.  It's easy to know when leniency fails;  it's nearly impossible to know when leniency succeeds.

CountDeMoney

From what I've read, he loved his mother and hated his sister all his life, who shared one side of the house and they never communicated;  once Mom kicked it, he fell apart, and torching sis was just a bonus.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2012, 02:45:58 AM
Yeah, I'm sure having guns would have helped these innocent bystanders and children regularly blown up to pieces by drones. Which, incidentally, makes the whole outrage about the school shooting rather hypocritical. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

OK Ward Churchill.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

I was sorta amused when some liberul journalist  faggits published the names and addresses of registered gun owners in a couple of counties in NY.

Even more amused when the names of the liberul journalist faggits names and addresses were published.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 26, 2012, 05:36:12 PM
I was sorta amused when some liberul journalist  faggits published the names and addresses of registered gun owners in a couple of counties in NY.

Even more amused when the names of the liberul journalist faggits names and addresses were published.

Guess they thought "they" were the only ones who could play that game.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on December 26, 2012, 05:45:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 26, 2012, 05:36:12 PM

Guess they thought "they" were the only ones who could play that game.

Journalists aren't noted for their intelligence.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Ed, you may be right.... :lol:

http://www.newser.com/story/159919/gregory-could-face-prison-term-over-magazine.html
QuoteNBC asked if David Gregory could hold a high-capacity magazine on Meet the Press Sunday, and police said no—but Gregory did it anyway, according to a police email. "NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazines is not permissible and their request was denied," reads the email from Washington police to a group called Patriot Perspective, which had inquired whether Gregory would be charged with a crime. "This matter is currently being investigated." DC prohibits such magazines, even when they aren't attached to a firearm.

The misdemeanor offense is rarely prosecuted but could lead to a $1,000 fine and year-long prison sentence for Gregory, the Washington Post reports. He held what looked like a magazine while grilling NRA chief Wayne LaPierre about the wisdom of banning assault weapons: "Here's a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets," said Gregory. But LaPierre said an assault-weapons ban would not help deter mass murders like the one in Newtown, Conn. Now Washington, DC, detectives hope to determine whether NBC shot the interview in the District and whether the magazine contained bullets and was real.

Here's a quote from the comments section. Priceless.
QuoteYou people throwing the words "assault rifle" around don't seem to realize that you can be assaulted with anything, including words. Ever hear of "verbal assault"? Anything that can be used as a weapon can be  considered  an "assault" whatever. You can use an AR-15 or 22, 25, 32 or 38 or 45 or 308, 270, 300, a muzzleloader, knife, brick, bat, or your fist to assault another person. When and if you are arrested, you will be charged with, guess what, "assault". The dumb ass media, and a lot of other dumb ass citizens use that word to dramatize and sensationalize the issue. Sort of like using the word "racist", the word has been worn out by it's missuse by a very uninformed and ignorant public.

Razgovory

I'm going to guess the guy is also a racist.  It's unclear if he's using "assault" in a legal sense or not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017