Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Gun control isn't politics. Not in these circumstances.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Queequeg

Probably a good idea. 

Look, we've gone through this how many times this year?  People are massacred, hecklers scream about how it's "not the time for politics", and then everyone forgets about it within two weeks.  It's a sick process. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2012, 03:11:20 PM
I don't get the hype over assault rifles anyway (I presume by 'assault rifle' we are talking like an modern infantry weapon here, right?).  In the hands of an amateur inside a building a shotgun would be by far the most dangerous weapon.  Even a handgun, people like this guy are not sniping from the UT Tower they are shooting from just a few feet away, a AK-47 is not really some big uptick in effectiveness in those circumstances.
I guess maybe I'm not sure what Spellus means by 'assault rifle'.  To me an assault rifle is capable of selective fire (typically full auto, burst, and single shot) and it is definitely illegal for a civilan to own those in most cases--as in you cannot walk into a gun shop and buy one or pick up a transfer you bought from say an online retailer.  However, the distinction is kind of a silly one because a skilled shooter can fire very quickly with a semiautomatic weapon, and probably more accurately.  It's one of those things that the media has gotten into people's heads that doesn't matter as much as people think it does.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Must be one of the only thread to have more replies then views.

Maximus

Get your bites in quick, before the bodies are cold.

Queequeg

Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2012, 03:19:47 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM
I'm a gonna say it.

Extensive. Gun. Control.

FUCK OFF YOU PUSSY
You want cheap and easy access to guns, move to FATA or Somalia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 03:19:28 PM
Look, we've gone through this how many times this year?  People are massacred, hecklers scream about how it's "not the time for politics", and then everyone forgets about it within two weeks.  It's a sick process.
You are absolutely right.  The problem with this issue is that there is no way for Congress or the President or anyone else to push a button, or sign a piece of paper, etc. and fix it.  They may try, but it definitely won't work, simply because there's no way for anyone in a position of authority to know who owns what guns without searching every house in America.

We made a choice, rightly or wrongly, as a society many generations ago to have an armed citizenry and I don't see any realistic way to change that without a total social upheaval.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

I'm a gonna say it.

Extensive. Gun. Control.

FUCK OFF YOU PUSSY

Why are you afraid of your government?

Pussy? I like guns. I'm interested in guns. I own fake guns. That doesn't make me think one should be able to own an arsenal or one. Too many people are untrustworthy with weapons. I gladly give that freedom* up to ensure the security of my childs.

*altho, I never did have that freedom.

11B4V

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 03:23:33 PM
I'm a gonna say it.

Extensive. Gun. Control.

FUCK OFF YOU PUSSY
You want cheap and easy access to guns, move to FATA or Somalia.

Extensive. Gun. Control. will not prevent what happened.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2012, 03:29:05 PM
Why are you afraid of your government?

Well my government does torture people in secret black sites across the world and has drones that can murder you from long range.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 02:50:35 PM
Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 02:10:45 PM
Fuck off with the politics in this thread
Sounds like this asshole had an assault rifle.  Civilians just shouldn't fucking be allowed to own that shit.  This is the only time those weapons are going to be used. 

Can you explain what that means?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2012, 03:30:49 PM
Extensive. Gun. Control. will not prevent what happened.

Yeah it happens on a daily basis in countries with extensive gun control.  The evidence is overwhelming.

In any case, like Caliga says, the horse is way out of the barn and in any case the Supreme Court has already ruled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 03:06:09 PM
AP is reporting that he had this:

How much does something like that go for?
Seems like there are less expensive forms of penis enlargement, at least if my spam box contents are to be believed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson