Controversial MLK Memorial inscription to be removed

Started by garbon, December 13, 2012, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2012, 09:36:54 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 17, 2012, 07:54:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 14, 2012, 09:06:38 AM
I wonder what kind of crap quotes they'll put on my memorial.
"All your base are belong to us!" If you are lucky.

I'm guessing something with more "moo" and "baa" in it.

"Brain, lover of all creatures great and small"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 11:39:19 AM
It is a really ugly memorial.  It looks like some of the old communist stuff.  Why does MLK have to look some damn angry in it?

Because the negro community frowns upon all shenanigans, duh.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 17, 2012, 07:00:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 11:39:19 AM
It is a really ugly memorial.  It looks like some of the old communist stuff.  Why does MLK have to look some damn angry in it?

Because the negro community frowns upon all shenanigans, duh.

Of course many African Americans were angry that there was a Chinese artist for the memorial.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

They ought to tear it down and try again.  It's a fucking abomination.  It looks like a sneering, authoritarian man coming out of a formless mass.  It's the sort of thing you would make for a communist tyrant.  In fact, it looks like a lot of old Soviet war memorials.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I completely agree that it is dreadful. Who knew the Stone of Hope would look so much like despair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

They should have made the MLK memorial like the original Robo-Jesus that got burned up in Ohio.  Image a 200 foot tall black man emerging from the Reflecting Pool.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on December 17, 2012, 08:47:21 PM
They should have made the MLK memorial like the original Robo-Jesus that got burned up in Ohio.  Image a 200 foot tall black man emerging from the Reflecting Pool.

On fire.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

If they were to replace it with an accurate MLK quote it would cost way more than that $700,000 or whatever, given the royalties the King family would probably demand :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2012, 10:45:53 AM
If they were to replace it with an accurate MLK quote it would cost way more than that $700,000 or whatever, given the royalties the King family would probably demand :rolleyes:

I'll go ahead and bring up Susan Rice.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2012, 11:48:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2012, 10:45:53 AM

I'll go ahead and bring up Susan Rice.

:ultra:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2012, 08:49:26 PM

On fire.
With 'The Wickerman' by Iron Maiden blaring. :punk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2012, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2012, 08:49:26 PM

On fire.
With 'The Wickerman' by Iron Maiden blaring. :punk:

I'm thinking more of a version of "Iron Man".

Stone MLK comes back from the grave, kills the people whose rights he once saved ... :punk:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius