News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MoD launches range of Action Man

Started by Brazen, May 18, 2009, 05:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteHM armed forces toy action figures designed by Character Group toy makers launched at RAF Northolt, London. The Royal Navy, army and Royal Air Force figures, which will go on sale on VE Day this Friday, were developed with the Ministry of Justice to ensure authencity. We look at the development of the action figure toy since Palitoy introduced them to the UK in 1966

OK, very laudable. A toy manufacturer and the MoD have collaborated to produce an accurately dress and equipped range of Action Man figures to persuade more youngsters to consider a career in the military. I'm saving for the Marine myself. Can anyone see a problem here? Yup, all male, all white. Not even a Gurkha.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2009/may/07/toys-military?picture=346962118

Martinus

Question: are the dolls anatomically accurate?

Martinus

Speaking of which, my homophobic work colleague bought his 3 y.o. son action figures of medieval knights. The son put two of them under a blanket and, when questioned about it, announced that they sleep together. Then he emoted them kissing.  :lmfao:

CountDeMoney

Cool.  Wait til they come out with a Monty doll, and you can stare at it, waiting for Caen to be taken.  And wait.  And wait.

Viking

I like this Action Man in Fallujah

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2009, 05:46:54 AM
Speaking of which,

Is there any thread you can't weave into your Pink Agenda?

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2009, 05:48:56 AM
Speaking of which,

He gets points on his Pink Agenda card every time he does it. When he gets enough he can trade them in for a new neckerchief.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2009, 05:48:56 AM
Speaking of which,

Well why don't you come up with some and I will see.

But dolls of hot muscular men in uniforms aren't exactly hard to connect with gayness, are they?

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2009, 05:44:58 AM
Question: are the dolls anatomically accurate?
No.
And that episode of Babylon 5- wtf were they thinking? :bleeding:

QuoteOK, very laudable. A toy manufacturer and the MoD have collaborated to produce an accurately dress and equipped range of Action Man figures to persuade more youngsters to consider a career in the military. I'm saving for the Marine myself. Can anyone see a problem here? Yup, all male, all white. Not even a Gurkha.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2009/may/07/toys-military?picture=346962118
Now a action gurkha (not meaning to imply they're not men :p) would be truly awesome...
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The book "Achtung Schweinehund" had fond recollections of the British author's childhood with those action figures, and his struggle to create credible encounters with the limited range available (esp. a lack of German enemies).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on May 18, 2009, 06:03:51 AM
Now a action gurkha (not meaning to imply they're not men :p) would be truly awesome...
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?MoD_backs_new_military_toy_line&in_article_id=648560&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=
QuoteThe dolls exclude Gurkhas but female and black soldier figures will be released at a later date
:(

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2009, 06:04:24 AM
The book "Achtung Schweinehund" had fond recollections of the British author's childhood with those action figures, and his struggle to create credible encounters with the limited range available (esp. a lack of German enemies).
Next time we meet, I have to record you saying a few WWII German soldier lines. "For you, Tommy, ze var is over" is a favourite :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2009, 05:47:22 AM
Cool.  Wait til they come out with a Monty doll, and you can stare at it, waiting for Caen to be taken.  And wait.  And wait.

And demands a B-17 to fly him around in.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive