Internet connection slow on new computer

Started by Syt, December 01, 2012, 04:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

My new computer has arrived, huzzah!

However, for reasons I can't determine, the internet connection is ridiculously slow. I have a 15MBit line, computer directly hooked to modem. I've given the new computer the same mac address as the prvious one (and the one before that).

Opening web pages is painfully slow if they open at all, and download speeds of 100-200kB are good at the moment. There's the occasional speed burst, but then it's back to very slow or unresponsive. I've had a 700kB download cut out. A 75 MB download has progressed by 2 percent in the past two minutes.

I've already switched network cables, and installed the latest network card drivers.

Anything else I may want to check on?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Vricklund

My first suspicion would be that your ip-settings are somehow incorrect. If you cloned your mac-address you probably didn't get a new DHCP lease (provided you do not have a static IP) and possibly you're missing a DNS-server or something like that.
Secondly I'd recheck my drivers.
If I were to investigate further I would hook up the old and new laptop with a network cable and static ip's, share a drive or folder, start copying some files and see if your problems persist.

Syt

Thanks - it seems the modem needed to "warm up" to the computer first. Things are fine now, downloading with 11.5MB/s on Steam.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Vricklund

Probably got a new DHCP lease from your ISP that corrected your settings. Unless your ISP for some strange reason requires you to have the same mac-address there's really no reason to clone it. Had you plugged it in with a unique mac-address you would've gotten the new settings that instant.

Syt

Quote from: Vricklund on December 01, 2012, 11:05:32 AM
Probably got a new DHCP lease from your ISP that corrected your settings. Unless your ISP for some strange reason requires you to have the same mac-address there's really no reason to clone it.

My ISP requires me to register my mac with them - that's how they try to keep people from hooking up ten PCs to the same line. Of course in the days of routers that's moot, but still. Anyways, I find it easier to make the change on my side than going through their customer service.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Why do they have a problem with how many machines are connected to their line?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2012, 04:22:22 PM
No problem, but they can make more money if they can charge more for hooking up two computers.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2012, 04:22:22 PM

They want you to pay extra for a second computer. TBH, I need to check if they still enforce that.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Wow, I've never heard of that.  I probably have at least 20 internet-connected devices in my house.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Vricklund

I swapped ISP this month to Bahnhof and lo' and behold - only one mac-address per line!  :lol:

I had to call customer service and ask them about it since I saw absolutely nothing about it in the fine print. Turns out that in the open net I'm in this is the only way they have to keep me from plugging in a switch and getting x number of 10/10Mbit lines. They had a pretty hazzle free web interface to add/remove devices and I got a 50% rebate the first three months so I didn't cancel the purchase.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2012, 11:02:43 PM
Wow, I've never heard of that.  I probably have at least 20 internet-connected devices in my house.

Routers are fine, since they're (theoretically) secured to your household, though I have heard of ISPs making it part of their TOS that the home network HAS to be secured.  Switches are another story.
Experience bij!