News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pogoplug

Started by derspiess, December 12, 2012, 05:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Not that I technically needed it, but since J&R dropped them down to $20 with free shipping I bought one of those Pogoplug NAS-type devices that let you attach USB storage or SD cards and access that storage (both read and write) from anywhere inside our outside your home network.  It basically functions like cloud storage that you host at home.

I know you can do that with software and I have a Windows Home Server already that I use for backups and some media serving, but the dead simplicity of the device's setup and compatibility with Android and iOS (apps for both are free) add some functionality that I didn't really have before. 

I plan on using it to stream movies that are too big to store on my phone and maybe to back up files from my phone.  I'm already using Dropbox for backup, but with this I won't have to worry about storage limits.

The model I got has Wireless N but I used the ethernet connection.  Took less than 5 minutes to set up.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

What a terrible name for a product.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Vricklund

Heh, I guess it depends on your associations. For me "plug" is an established name for small embedded devices like this. :)

Ever since my NSLU2 died on me I've been looking for a replacement. I've glanced at the raspberry pi, pogoplug and the similar tonidoplug but in the end I think I'm going to end up with something that's supported by debian, like the sheeva/guru-plug.

derspiess

Quote from: Vricklund on December 13, 2012, 04:12:42 AM
Heh, I guess it depends on your associations. For me "plug" is an established name for small embedded devices like this. :)

Ever since my NSLU2 died on me I've been looking for a replacement. I've glanced at the raspberry pi, pogoplug and the similar tonidoplug but in the end I think I'm going to end up with something that's supported by debian, like the sheeva/guru-plug.

Yeah, this is not (AFAIK) a product suited for poweruser-types.  It does what it does and that's about it.  For $20 it's tough to beat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Vricklund on December 13, 2012, 04:12:42 AM

Yeah, Raspberry Pi might take a day's worth of hacky workarounds to get set up as an NAS.  I've still got one on my Christmas list, though- I'm more interested in its use as a fully embedded system for robotics projects.

Have you considered the MK802?
Experience bij!