Bonnie Prince Charlie - A Wee Dram for a Wee Brain

Started by Alatriste, May 18, 2009, 04:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

I just had to post a rant that starts like this

QuoteBonnie Prince Charlie is the Scotish endearment for the drunken imbecile who led the Highlanders to disaster, ruin and Canada :Canuck:

http://finermanworks.com/your_rda_of_irony/2007/01/

Funny the things you find on the Internets googling "Tsarina", "Pompadour", "Maria Theresa" and "hounds"...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alatriste

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

Quote from: Alatriste on May 18, 2009, 04:52:53 AM

That is actually a fairly witty article.  The Stuarts were a pretty miserable lot.

QuoteThe Stuarts, the rulers of Scotland, always had a poor working relationship with England. James IV was killed in battle with the English. His son James V died in flight after a lost battle with the English. His granddaughter Mary was executed by the English. Ironically, when Elizabeth I died and had no heirs (one of the side effects of being a a Virgin Queen) the throne went to her distant cousin James VI of Scotland. Somehow, James avoided being killed by the English. However, his son Charles I didn't.

Hehe nice

QuoteI think you mean Jacobins.

Mort aux rois!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

I fail to see what Canada has got to do with Bonnie Prince Charlie, except as a theatre of battle during the France / GB wars of the 18th century.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Richard Hakluyt

I think the reasoning is that the '45 led to the Highland clearances and that the displaced Highlanders moved to Canada.

garbon

Quote from: Alatriste on May 19, 2009, 02:37:47 AM
I guessed as much, you are a bunch of damned closet Jacobites!!!   :P

Well look what came next. :x

Anyway, I guess this is a history blog of catty history? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 19, 2009, 10:38:26 AM
I think the reasoning is that the '45 led to the Highland clearances and that the displaced Highlanders moved to Canada.

That is a bit lame... Even if one wants to make a direct link between the clearances and the jacobite rebellion, the Scottish emigration to Canada was quite late, and not much more in Canada than in the Anglo-American colonies and the United States. Canada existed before the Highland clearances; Halifax, founded in 1749, is not even peoples primarily with Scots and the regions the highlander colonized were even considered peripherical. The Scots who came with the invading British army as purveyors were Scots-Irish or business people, not quite die-hard jacobites -- apart perhaps for the Highlander regiments who participated in the conquest of Canada. But then again, they weren't the only ones.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Alatriste

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 07:50:31 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on May 18, 2009, 04:52:53 AM

That is actually a fairly witty article.  The Stuarts were a pretty miserable lot.

Perhaps 'rant' is not the proper therm. I posted the article because it was witty!

Valmy

Right I was agreeing with you.  There is just no pleasing some people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Valmy

garbon