And we're back!

Main Menu

UK Census

Started by Sheilbh, December 11, 2012, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2012, 02:14:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2012, 01:39:24 PM
In addition mixed race is now the largest ethnic group among under-16 year olds and I believe the fastest growing ethnicity. I more or less agree with Alex Massie on why this is all good news:

Wait what?  More than half of all children born in the UK are to mix race couples?

I assume "largest" = "plurality", not "largest" = "more than half"

If you split all the different white people into different ethnic groups - as they do with Poles and French etc, and even with British, English, Welsh and Irish, then it's not that surprising; even less so if they consider someone with a Polish mother and Irish father to be mixed race (not sure if they do that, however).

Richard Hakluyt

What Jake said, my kids are "white British", but if Irish is an ethnicity then they are aslo "mixed"........

.......but about half the "white British" have at least a drop or two of Irish in them.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 11, 2012, 02:30:36 PM
I assume "largest" = "plurality", not "largest" = "more than half"

If you split all the different white people into different ethnic groups - as they do with Poles and French etc, and even with British, English, Welsh and Irish, then it's not that surprising; even less so if they consider someone with a Polish mother and Irish father to be mixed race (not sure if they do that, however).

Yes, I already said that Jake.

Well ok if that is the split then that makes sense.  As an American that would mean about 90% of our population is "mixed race" :lol:

Sorry when I hear "race" I think "race" not "ethnicity" for some reason.  I mean both are arbitrary definitions but they are different arbitrary defintions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Doesn't it work on self-perception?

Given that I imagine younger age groups are more diverse and, I believe, London is the most fecund area in the country, it doesn't strike me as entirely implausible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2012, 02:57:09 PM
Doesn't it work on self-perception?

Given that I imagine younger age groups are more diverse and, I believe, London is the most fecund area in the country, it doesn't strike me as entirely implausible.

Really?  Large cities are rarely that fecund because of contrained living space and cost of living.

But even if that is the case are Indians and Pakistanis really marrying native Brits in numbers that dwarf the numbers they marry inside their own group?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

I think the largest group is black and white British (which again points to London), but I believe that other mixed race marriages are increasing quite rapidly. So more Asian Brits, from all ethnic backgrounds, are marrying people from other ethnicities at a far higher rate than used to be the case. I imagine this is more the case in more integrated areas like London.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2012, 03:14:30 PM
I think the largest group is black and white British (which again points to London), but I believe that other mixed race marriages are increasing quite rapidly. So more Asian Brits, from all ethnic backgrounds, are marrying people from other ethnicities at a far higher rate than used to be the case. I imagine this is more the case in more integrated areas like London.

Well of course they are increasing quite rapidly.  They were probably close to zero thirty years ago.  But what you are saying is that they have produced a plurality of the children for the past 16 years which is shocking...unless you go with mixed-ethicity as being mixed race.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

I'm with Valmy.  That's a really weird stat.

Perchance they mean of people who are ethnic, that's the largest group?  I could see that fairly easily.

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on December 11, 2012, 02:17:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2012, 01:46:25 PM
Yeah, enjoy your cultural suicide.

When was the American cultural suicide?

A long time ago. Once Squanto et all helped Europeans get a foothold and then lost control of the immigration process, the Native American culture was doomed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

In general I'm pro immigration, but for the UK, I see the point of strong controls. It is a small country, but the only major English speaking country in the EU (and hence the major logical destination for europeans in depressed countries) plus has strong historical ties to large sections of the world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Oh god, this more diversity news is going to be serious fuel for the fuckheads isnt it. :bleeding:
Though
QuoteThose of mixed ethnic origin have shot up,
bodes well to shut them up.

QuoteMore people now rent privately than rent from the council (down from 13% to 9%).
Yeah, cheers for the housing shortage Maggie.

On religion, the question has got to be why God seems to have forsaken the Welsh Valleys. They account for three of the five local authorities where "no religion" looms largest. The Northeast cleaves most notably to the God of its (mainly white British) forebears.
Yeah right.
Too many people just ticking the box for christian as its what they think they're meant to do when in reality they're just as irreligious as the rest of us.

QuoteMore than two-thirds chose English, and almost 58% chose only English—most strikingly in the North-East,
How sad :(
Though inevitable given all the money and interest that gets thrown Scotland's way, passing over us.

QuoteThis makes sense: why would you leave Poland to claim benefits in Sunderland? No, you go where the work is. This also makes sense since, as can hardly be stressed too often, emigration is almost by definition an entrepreneurial act.
This is a nice point. Really sticks it to those "OMG immigrants coming to steal benefits!" people.

QuoteThose workers have to come from somewhere and all the evidence is they won't come from Merseyside or Tyneside. These are places, mind you, that could do with more immigration too. Not to 'take' jobs from the native-born but to help stimulate demand. People are a stimulus too, remember.
Yeah, I won't, nothing at all to do with not being able to afford it.
I however welcome more hot foreign chicks.

I wonder if they in anyway differentiated between those who are settled in Britain and migrant workers? Its a well known thing with the Poles especially that they don't want to live in Britain forever, they just want to make some good money whilst they're young before going home to settle down.

QuoteWhat the Tories really need to be fighting is emmigration.  Brits are still trying to colonise the world.
But it has nicer things....

QuoteOk so no the majority but the plurality.

How is that even possible with 80% of the population being ethnic brits and the second largest group being other various white folks?  That would almost require every non-white person be in a mixed race relationship or the mixed race couples are producing babies at a shocking rate.

And wouldn't one follow the other unless mixed race kids are Britains #1 import?

I mean even in the US which a much much larger non-white population as a proportion that is not anywhere near true.
Opposites attract. You land yourself a hot black/asian/oriental/whatever chick, you're gonna go at it like bunnies?

Though I seriously wonder...mixed race here actually means  mixed race right? Doesn't include Scottish/English or British/French?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2012, 03:18:54 PM
Well of course they are increasing quite rapidly.  They were probably close to zero thirty years ago.  But what you are saying is that they have produced a plurality of the children for the past 16 years which is shocking...unless you go with mixed-ethicity as being mixed race.
I don't think that's it because it's about how people see themselves, I imagine a person with Irish and Spanish parents sees themselves as white Irish, white British or white other, not mixed race.  Also the question asks people to specify their parentage (white-black is most common). Since 2001 the number of people identifying in this category has doubled, it looks like the biggest increase except for white other (hello Poles). 

Yi could be right.

QuoteI wonder if they in anyway differentiated between those who are settled in Britain and migrant workers? Its a well known thing with the Poles especially that they don't want to live in Britain forever, they just want to make some good money whilst they're young before going home to settle down.
We'll see.  That may have been the plan.  They may have started to get nice jobs, or found a girlfriend.  I suppose we'll know in 2021 how permanent it is.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The claim does not make sense Sheilbh, I will have to ask you for your sources  :o

It sounds to me like an Islington-based journalist has got carried away with the multicultural wonderment of it all and grossly misinterpreted the figures. Innumerate articles are all too common in our press.

The only way I can see mixed-race being the largest group of births is if a one-drop rule is being applied and people who are part-Irish or whatever are being counted in the group.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
I'm with Valmy.  That's a really weird stat.

Perchance they mean of people who are ethnic, that's the largest group?  I could see that fairly easily.

Obviously that is it. By ethnic they mean non-white.