News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Downfall of the Ikea Monkey

Started by Malthus, December 10, 2012, 05:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Monkey goes a-shopping at Ikea in a fashionable coat, causing a stir:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/12/10/toronto-ikea-monkey.html?cmp=rss

Where's the Man in the Yellow Hat when you need him?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

LOL, saw this in my morning news feed.  Love the jacket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PRC

I love the line from the article: "The monkey, originally from Montreal,..."

HVC

Quote from: PRC on December 10, 2012, 06:02:57 PM
I love the line from the article: "The monkey, originally from Montreal,..."
Wonder if he likes cheese?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

I heard a rumour that there was a write-in campaign to elect the Ikea Monkey for mayor ... he's better dressed than our current one, and significantly less likely to fling feces.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Ikea should make some monkey in a jacket plush toys, stat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Also, owner was a lawyer with serious "I want a baby" issues.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on December 11, 2012, 09:00:07 AM

This could lead to some amusing litigation, if Ikea started to make plush jacket monkies and/or use the Ikea Monkey in its advertising.  :D

Does the owner of an illegally-owned anima that was confiscated by animal servicesl own the value of its image? STAY TUNED!

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2012, 08:51:36 AM
I heard a rumour that there was a write-in campaign to elect the Ikea Monkey for mayor ... he's better dressed than our current one, and significantly less likely to fling feces.  :hmm:

Comes with own diaper too.

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on December 11, 2012, 09:37:58 AM

Comes with own diaper too.

Also, the whole "enraged face eating" thing when he's an adult could prove useful in negotiating with unions.

I mean the monkey, not Rob Ford.

Gups

Canada, always behind the times...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1965569.stm

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on December 11, 2012, 09:53:22 AM

Doesn't count. Not a real monkey.  :P

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2012, 09:57:48 AM
Quote from: Gups on December 11, 2012, 09:53:22 AM

Doesn't count. Not a real monkey.  :P

Northerner, monkey. I think you're being zoologically pedantic.

Martinus

QuoteShe said the incident illustrates why people should not attempt to own exotic pets, which often have special needs.

So do children with special needs. Not to mention at this age the monkey is probably smarter than a lot of kids, special needs or no. Yet we do not lock kids up in cages or make them run around naked with other kids so they become "acclimatized to living more naturally".

What if monkeys are really very very disabled humans who just have been inbreeding for a long time?  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on December 11, 2012, 09:00:07 AM

Meh, getting a monkey is pretty tame. Now, people who actually give birth to real babies have serious "I want a baby" issues.