Fairytale of New York: the story behind the Pogues' classic Christmas anthem

Started by Syt, December 08, 2012, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2012, 11:50:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2012, 09:31:50 PM
It's a classic - notable as being one of the few (relatively) modern Christmas songs that are actually good.  ;)

I too find it hard to believe so many have never heard it.
If you can't understand the lyrics, you're not likely to remember it. I suspect that may be an important factor. People have heard, it just goes in and out one ear and is forgotten.

I can understand it easily, despite not being English.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Now don't get me wrong I like the song I just do not get why it is so hyped on this board as the Christmas Song evah or whatever.  It is kind of hard for me to relate to never having been in a drunk tank or built any of my dreams around old sluts on junk who call me homophobic slurs but it is alright.

What exactly is it that is so inspiring or sentimental though?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

It's the best Christmas song evah (or at least from the last 40 years) because the competition is so bad. I can think of maybe half a dozen Xmas songs I can stomach.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2012, 11:02:16 AM
Now don't get me wrong I like the song I just do not get why it is so hyped on this board as the Christmas Song evah or whatever.  It is kind of hard for me to relate to never having been in a drunk tank or built any of my dreams around old sluts on junk who call me homophobic slurs but it is alright.

The song is about the potential for redemption - of people's lives that appear irredemably fucked up. It's a quintessential Christmas theme.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I've probably heard it before but I don't quite understand why you guys think it's so ossum.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on December 10, 2012, 11:04:04 AM
It's the best Christmas song evah (or at least from the last 40 years) because the competition is so bad. I can think of maybe half a dozen Xmas songs I can stomach.

The Don Henley Christmas song is pretty good.

derspiess

Barenaked Ladies "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" is one of my favorites.  But yeah, not a whole lot of good Christmas music was recorded after the 60s for whatever reason.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on December 10, 2012, 11:07:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2012, 11:02:16 AM

The song is about the potential for redemption - of people's lives that appear irredemably fucked up. It's a quintessential Christmas theme.

Also a lot of people feel lonely during the Holidays, and the song kinda speaks to that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017