News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Historical Female

Started by merithyn, December 10, 2012, 12:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

So, keeping with my apparently feminist bent, I'll ask the question: Who is your favorite historical female? Doesn't matter where in history - but why you like the person would be nice to know.

Preference would be that the woman be dead, but if you can't think of any dead ones you like, a live one will do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Hard to say.  Probably Victoria.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2012, 12:57:40 PM
How sexist.

Feel free to start your own thread about favorite historical male. In the meantime, don't be mean. :hug:

merithyn

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 12:59:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2012, 12:57:40 PM
How sexist.

Feel free to start your own thread about favorite historical male. In the meantime, don't be mean. :hug:

I'd say you are the one trivializing women, which is not particularly feminist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2012, 01:02:01 PM

I'd say you are the one trivializing women, which is not particularly feminist.

Not at all. Rather, I'm recognizing that on Languish, one is not likely to find someone saying that a woman is their favorite historical figure since a lot of people on here seem to prefer war figures over most others. So, by asking the question as I did, I'm likely to learn about more historical women than I would if I only asked who a favorite historical figure might be.

In my opinion, it isn't trivializing to separate a sub-group out in order to learn things about them that aren't normally addressed in the general course of things. When most of what you learn is about one group in history, specifically asking about other groups allows you to learn more interesting facts than you would otherwise come across.

merithyn

Drakken

Rome's most infamous cheating whore, wife of Roman Emperor Cl-cl-cl-cl-cl-claudius.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 01:06:32 PM

Not at all. Rather, I'm recognizing that on Languish, one is not likely to find someone saying that a woman is their favorite historical figure since a lot of people on here seem to prefer war figures over most others. So, by asking the question as I did, I'm likely to learn about more historical women than I would if I only asked who a favorite historical figure might be.

On that topic, plenty of warrior women to admire - like Britain's own Boudica, warrior queen of the Iceni - gotta love a woman who burned down London.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on December 10, 2012, 01:17:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 01:06:32 PM

On that topic, plenty of warrior women to admire - like Britain's own Boudica, warrior queen of the Iceni - gotta love a woman who burned down London.  :D

Sure. But would you have thought to mention her if I hadn't asked specifically about historical women?

Drakken

Surprisingly, one of my favourite historical female character is Sisi - the real one, not the Romy Schneider one.

Not far lies also Vicki, Princess Royal, a woman who loathed with a passion everything militaristic and conservative her country of adoption Prussia was showcasing. The avowed aim of her marriage to Prussian crown prince Frederick was even to bring more liberalism in Prussia, which failed spectacularly.

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on December 10, 2012, 01:11:10 PM
Rome's most infamous cheating whore, wife of Roman Emperor Cl-cl-cl-cl-cl-claudius.

Well, if we are going down that road - my favorite is the Empress Theodora, wife of Justinian the Great.

Anyone remember what she used to complain about, according to Procopius?  :D

[spoiler] That she had only three orifices suitable for fucking at the same time ... [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius