Fairytale of New York: the story behind the Pogues' classic Christmas anthem

Started by Syt, December 08, 2012, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

How odd.
Not recognising the title I'd give but not having heard the song...thought it was rather internationally known. The Americans here certainly all seem to know it.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Richard Hakluyt

The song is 25 years old, but it is resurrected every year here in the UK as part of the Christmas playlists. It is notable as it is a seasonal song that is actually good  :D

So, if it isn't played every year in the states, then people under 30 without a specific interest in such music won't have heard of it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on December 09, 2012, 10:53:22 AM
Every person who said they haven't heard of it is American.

I'd say it was an age thing, but that's incorrect.  I'm a little surprised at my fellow Ammuricans.  Granted, the Pogues aren't the Sex Pistols, but c'mon.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2012, 11:57:18 AM

I'd say it was an age thing, but that's incorrect.  I'm a little surprised at my fellow Ammuricans.  Granted, the Pogues aren't the Sex Pistols, but c'mon.

They just ain't my bag, baby.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 09, 2012, 11:18:36 AM
So, if it isn't played every year in the states, then people under 30 without a specific interest in such music won't have heard of it.

It actually is played every year in the states, as far as I can tell.  And it's a great song.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2012, 12:09:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2012, 11:57:18 AM

They just ain't my bag, baby.

They weren't really mine either, but if you were listening to college radio in the late 80s and early 90s, you knew who they were.

PDH

I really liked the early stuff, then the teeth to good songs ratio stabilized at zero:zero.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

I've heard the opening of the song before, but I've always switched the station because I could only understand every other word he said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

It's a classic - notable as being one of the few (relatively) modern Christmas songs that are actually good.  ;)

I too find it hard to believe so many have never heard it. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

On the subject of christmas songs that are good I like this little known one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4s76oLcPTo

Yet the Americans I know IRL know it, dosen't seem to be just a British thing.  Surprising on languish however it is.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2012, 09:31:50 PM
It's a classic - notable as being one of the few (relatively) modern Christmas songs that are actually good.  ;)

I find the last bit of your first sentence hard to believe. :shutup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2012, 09:31:50 PM

If you can't understand the lyrics, you're not likely to remember it. I suspect that may be an important factor. People have heard, it just goes in and out one ear and is forgotten.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point