WTF Teen sentenced to 10 years of church.

Started by 11B4V, December 05, 2012, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2012, 04:40:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2012, 01:43:49 PM
You realize you only have to go to church for 1 hour once a week right?
I had to go 4-5hr a year while younger, and that was too much.

Unfortunately, I don't think Canada has something against "cruel and unusual punishment".  Besides, in my experience, American mass tend to be more than just 1hr.  No, I don't think I could survive.

Well again, you're getting a choice.  If church is that painful then just do the time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2012, 08:24:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2012, 02:25:03 AM
Definitely would rather give up my Sunday mornings than have to go to prison for a few years.
Though not being able to go on holiday would suck :(

I'm guessing you don't know how long 30 days is.
:huh:
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: dps on December 06, 2012, 04:09:56 PMIt would depend on the exact terms of his probation.

Yeah, I would like to see it. I'm pretty sure there are some loopholes there as I don't think the judge would go so far as to specify this must be a Christian church or of what denomination or where located, as that would be indeed against the first amendment/freedom of religion. So he could ask his friend to start a church of sex drugs and rockandroll and go there for a weekly observance.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2012, 01:59:48 AM
Yeah, I would like to see it. I'm pretty sure there are some loopholes there as I don't think the judge would go so far as to specify this must be a Christian church or of what denomination or where located, as that would be indeed against the first amendment/freedom of religion. So he could ask his friend to start a church of sex drugs and rockandroll and go there for a weekly observance.

Well it seems he already belonged to a church and went every week anyway so...I do not get what the judge was trying to accomplish here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

If it's a Catholic church then it's cruel and unusual.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2012, 02:16:40 AM

Well it seems he already belonged to a church and went every week anyway so...I do not get what the judge was trying to accomplish here.

That kind of makes it a non-story, doesn't it? I mean, it's very different from someone who never goes to church/doesn't believe being sentenced to religious services every Sunday for 10 years than, "Hey, keep doing what you're doing!" for 10 years.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Maybe. Though recall he's only 17. Who knows if he'd actually still be an avid churchgoer at 27 without this order.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Really if you take into account the other things they said he must do (like graduate high school) it is really just more about keeping him on the judge's idea of the straight and narrow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Judges should be allowed to refer late teen offenders like him to the nearest armed forces recruiting office, like they used to once upon a time.

Dean Wormer would agree.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 04:43:17 PM
Well again, you're getting a choice.  If church is that painful then just do the time.
It's what  said the first time... :)

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on December 06, 2012, 04:09:56 PMIt would depend on the exact terms of his probation.

Yeah, I would like to see it. I'm pretty sure there are some loopholes there as I don't think the judge would go so far as to specify this must be a Christian church or of what denomination or where located, as that would be indeed against the first amendment/freedom of religion.

Oh no, specified or not this is a clear 1st amendment violation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2012, 11:45:27 AM
Judges should be allowed to refer late teen offenders like him to the nearest armed forces recruiting office, like they used to once upon a time.

Dean Wormer would agree.

The services don't really want those guys anymore, though.

That might be less true than it was 10 years ago.

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2012, 04:40:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2012, 01:43:49 PM
You realize you only have to go to church for 1 hour once a week right?
I had to go 4-5hr a year while younger, and that was too much.

Unfortunately, I don't think Canada has something against "cruel and unusual punishment".  Besides, in my experience, American mass tend to be more than just 1hr.  No, I don't think I could survive.

Viper, you know I love you, and I don't mind your Quebecois anti-theist stuff, hell, I respect it, but I think you're being silly.  There is nothing worse on this planet than imprisonment (except I suppose imprisonment and torture).

Too bad we can't ask Paul Atreides which one he'd pick. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)