WTF Teen sentenced to 10 years of church.

Started by 11B4V, December 05, 2012, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on December 05, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on December 05, 2012, 06:27:07 PM
Can you imagine Viking forced to attend church for 10 years?  It has all the making of a fish out of water comedy, in which by the end both sides learn just a *little* more love and tolerance for one another.

Well, either that or a shock film about a small town lynching.

Viking's pretty crazy, but I don't think even he could lynch a whole small town by himself.

:D

Kleves

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2012, 03:52:56 PM
~1040 hours of church spaced out over 10 years or ~35,000 hours (assuming 4 year sentence) in prison. 

This is a decision?
Well, didn't we decide that women couldn't do math? :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on December 05, 2012, 08:15:35 PM
~1040 hours of church spaced out over 10 years or ~35,000 hours (assuming 4 year sentence) in prison. 

This is a decision?
Well, didn't we decide that women couldn't do math? :hmm:

Their bodies tell them not to.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Definitely would rather give up my Sunday mornings than have to go to prison for a few years.
Though not being able to go on holiday would suck :(
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2012, 02:25:03 AM
Definitely would rather give up my Sunday mornings than have to go to prison for a few years.
Though not being able to go on holiday would suck :(

I'm guessing you don't know how long 30 days is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

does it say the guy has to pay attention in the church?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:46:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 03:40:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:39:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 03:38:13 PM
If I got to choose which spiritual group I spent my time with, sure. If I had to go to church every Sunday, then, no, I don't know that I could do that for 10 years.

So you'd rather just do several full years in prison?

:hmm:

How many years?

Quick search gave me:

QuoteBecause first offense Oklahoma DUI is a misdemeanor, a fatal DUI accident would fall under the first definition of manslaughter in the first degree.  First-degree manslaughter in Oklahoma is a felony punishable by four years to life in prison.
It's 4 years, with the option of parole after 1/3 or 2/3? 2-3 years in jail VS Church for 10.  Give me the jail, please.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2012, 01:38:26 PM
It's 4 years, with the option of parole after 1/3 or 2/3? 2-3 years in jail VS Church for 10.  Give me the jail, please.

You realize you only have to go to church for 1 hour once a week right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

This is a decision?
I'm guessing there's more to it than this. Can you leave the country while on probation? Or even the state?

The church isn't much of an issue. 10 years is.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on December 06, 2012, 01:53:00 PM

This is a decision?
I'm guessing there's more to it than this. Can you leave the country while on probation? Or even the state?

I don't think actually that there are those requirements on it but who knows. In this case, I do know that the attorney of the kid said that his client already attends church every sunday so this won't be much of an imposition.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

This is a decision?

I suspect that there's some lee-way there.  Yeah, being tied to the same spot for 10 years would suck, but I don't think people on probation are prohibited from leaving the area they live in for short periods of time so long as they notify their probation officer of the dates and times they'll be gone.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on December 06, 2012, 03:38:45 PM

This is a decision?

I suspect that there's some lee-way there.  Yeah, being tied to the same spot for 10 years would suck, but I don't think people on probation are prohibited from leaving the area they live in for short periods of time so long as they notify their probation officer of the dates and times they'll be gone.

It would depend on the exact terms of his probation.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2012, 01:43:49 PM
You realize you only have to go to church for 1 hour once a week right?
I had to go 4-5hr a year while younger, and that was too much.

Unfortunately, I don't think Canada has something against "cruel and unusual punishment".  Besides, in my experience, American mass tend to be more than just 1hr.  No, I don't think I could survive.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.