WTF Teen sentenced to 10 years of church.

Started by 11B4V, December 05, 2012, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

http://www.newser.com/story/158828/teens-sentence-10-years-of-church.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_3_2

Quote(Newser) – What sounds better to you: Having to attend church for 10 years, or going to prison for manslaughter? If you said the former, you're not the ACLU. Tyler Alred, 17, was behind the wheel in a 2011 alcohol-related crash that killed his passenger, and Oklahoma Judge Mike Norman last month offered Alred the opportunity to avoid hard time and be sentenced instead to probation—so long as he goes to church regularly for a decade, reports the Tulsa World. The ACLU yesterday filed a complaint against Norman, condemning "the level of disregard" he "showed towards the US Constitution and the constitution of the state of Oklahoma."

The state's ACLU director explained that "we believe in a strong and independent judiciary. We didn't file this complaint lightly." A state council comprised of judges and lawyers will decide whether it wants to recommend that action be taken against Norman.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:34:08 PM
I'd totally take the church option.

Depends on the church.  If it was that Mission Baptist church I had to go to a couple times with my friend's family as a kid, that'd be a tough decision :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

If I got to choose which spiritual group I spent my time with, sure. If I had to go to church every Sunday, then, no, I don't know that I could do that for 10 years.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 03:36:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:34:08 PM
I'd totally take the church option.

Depends on the church.  If it was that Mission Baptist church I had to go to a couple times with my friend's family as a kid, that'd be a tough decision :(

Any particular horrible bits?

I've been to some boring churches (with lengthy services) but still I think I'd opt for it.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 03:38:13 PM
If I got to choose which spiritual group I spent my time with, sure. If I had to go to church every Sunday, then, no, I don't know that I could do that for 10 years.

So you'd rather just do several full years in prison?

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:39:25 PM

:hmm:

How many years?

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 03:40:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:39:25 PM

:hmm:

How many years?

Quick search gave me:

QuoteBecause first offense Oklahoma DUI is a misdemeanor, a fatal DUI accident would fall under the first definition of manslaughter in the first degree.  First-degree manslaughter in Oklahoma is a felony punishable by four years to life in prison.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:38:19 PM
Any particular horrible bits?

I've been to some boring churches (with lengthy services) but still I think I'd opt for it.

Rock music is the devil's music, you're going to hell if you do this, you're going to hell if you do that.  They even started demonizing *country* music at one service I had to attend (mind you the entire congregation consisted of rednecks).  Lots of yelling from the pulpit.  Nobody ever seemed to enjoy being there.  I always thought the extreme fire & brimstone churches were a Hollywood myth until I attended a service there.  Sunday School was mostly just reading scripture, with the teacher not making much of an attempt to make it relevant to kids.  Not sure if other Missionary Baptist churches are like that, since my sample is just 1.

Made me really appreciate my own Methodist church, which at its very worst was only boring.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Also the teen in question has to do the following:

The teenager must wear an ankle bracelet that monitors alcohol consumption; attend victim-impact panels and speak at events about the consequences of drinking and driving; graduate from high school and welding school; attend counseling; and undergo drug and alcohol assessments.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 03:46:57 PM

Quick search gave me:

QuoteBecause first offense Oklahoma DUI is a misdemeanor, a fatal DUI accident would fall under the first definition of manslaughter in the first degree.  First-degree manslaughter in Oklahoma is a felony punishable by four years to life in prison.

If I could get away with serving two years or less, I'd have to seriously have to think about it. I'd probably take the church thing because I'm a big chicken, but I'd have to really think about it. Especially if it were a holy-roller Baptist-type church.  :yuk:

Habbaku

~1040 hours of church spaced out over 10 years or ~35,000 hours (assuming 4 year sentence) in prison. 

This is a decision?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien