Outrage on the Web over NY Post photo capturing subway death

Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2012, 12:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm taking Tim's American card away from him. He's turned into a foriegner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 02, 2013, 05:55:18 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 05:19:18 PM
Seoul and Tokyo are still rocking at that time as well.

And it fucking sucks when the subway shuts down.

Yeah, New York has spoiled me on that. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

As it is usually the deciding factor in these cases... I am still trying to figure which of the systems must have better unions. :hmm:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 05:33:03 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 02, 2013, 05:24:20 PM
I imagine that if they need to close a track for necessary maintenance, they simply do so, and post a pubic announcement.

They do that for 24-hour freeways all the time.

Well no pubic announcement...:P

What they tried out recently and have seemed to like is being called Fastrack.  Basically they will shutdown several stations on a particular line (in example in link they speak about 1-2-3), in the evening for a series of days.  Posted well in advance so that everyone can plan accordingly / signs outside affected stations (and inside unaffected ones) relating alternate ways of getting around.

The benefit of this approach is that nearly all lines will still be operational at any given time but allows them concentrated chunks of time to do maintenance on a particular line.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack.htm
I don't want a pubic announcement from some bureaucrat.
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on January 02, 2013, 05:39:22 PM
Yea I'm surprised that any major city would have their public transit systems shut down for part of the day.
They shut down in Boston every night, too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2013, 06:25:50 AM
Quote from: Maximus on January 02, 2013, 05:39:22 PM
Yea I'm surprised that any major city would have their public transit systems shut down for part of the day.
They shut down in Boston every night, too.

Isn't that typical of most cities?

CountDeMoney

Always surprised me that Boston's closed up, considering how big the city is.  You'd think it'd be 24 hours, like New York's.

At least DC's stays open to 3am on the weekends.

Admiral Yi

Metro is open late on weekends but runs very intermittently.  Sitting in a station 20 minutes waiting for a train completely kills your buzz.