Two conservative Republicans booted from House budget panel

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 03:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2012, 06:24:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 04:52:10 PM
My point is that if both sides feel as though they got screwed it'll be a good compromise.
If they agree on exploding a nuclear device in Washington DC, I'm sure both sides would be unhappy with that compromise.  That wouldn't make it a good compromise for the country.

:hmm:
Perhaps not the best example.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on December 04, 2012, 06:23:02 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 04:32:08 PM
At this rate I think a compromise is inevitible.  And the GOP will get screwwwwwed.
Why, is compromise against the core tenets of the Republican Party?

Not as such, but Republicans tend to dislike compromise more then Democrats.  http://www.gallup.com/poll/144359/democrats-republicans-differ-views-compromise.aspx
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

My point is that if both sides feel as though they got screwed it'll be a good compromise.
If they agree on exploding a nuclear device in Washington DC, I'm sure both sides would be unhappy with that compromise.  That wouldn't make it a good compromise for the country.

:mellow:

And I'm done.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

You could have responded to mine, which has a less retarded scenario.  You statement only really works if you hold to an adversarial zero-sum view of the world.  On one hand there is the noble American people and on the other evil, corrupt politicians.  If the Politicians are unhappy it means they have been thwarted and outcome is bound to be good for the noble American people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Are you sure?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 06:25:55 PM
Not as such, but Republicans tend to dislike compromise more then Democrats.  http://www.gallup.com/poll/144359/democrats-republicans-differ-views-compromise.aspx

They are largely of the opinion that their attempts to compromise in the past got them betrayed in the end.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 06:25:55 PM

They are largely of the opinion that their attempts to compromise in the past got them betrayed in the end.

Who is "they"?

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 06:30:10 PM
You could have responded to mine, which has a less retarded scenario.  You statement only really works if you hold to an adversarial zero-sum view of the world.  On one hand there is the noble American people and on the other evil, corrupt politicians.  If the Politicians are unhappy it means they have been thwarted and outcome is bound to be good for the noble American people.

In general, when you've got two very different, very divisive views on how something should be done, if both sides walk away feeling as though they've given too much, most likely each side has given the right amount.

MadImmortalMan

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 06:33:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 06:30:10 PM

In general, when you've got two very different, very divisive views on how something should be done, if both sides walk away feeling as though they've given too much, most likely each side has given the right amount.

Why would you think this?  Would it not be better if they both came away satisfied?

Razgovory

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 06:36:45 PM

Why would you think this?  Would it not be better if they both came away satisfied?

Yes, it would be better, but I do not believe that it will ever happen with the US Congress and Senate. Ever.

They're children who want things their own way, and any other way is just plain wrong. If both the Dems and the Repubs walk away thinking they got screwed, there's a really good chance that the American people might actually win for once.

And yes, I have that poor of an opinion of the US government.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 06:39:34 PM

Yes, it would be better, but I do not believe that it will ever happen with the US Congress and Senate. Ever.

They're children who want things their own way, and any other way is just plain wrong. If both the Dems and the Repubs walk away thinking they got screwed, there's a really good chance that the American people might actually win for once.

Ah, well I right then.  You have a simplistic zero-sum view of the world where evil politicians are at odds with the noble American people. :mellow:  I'm not sure what else to say.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2012, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 06:39:34 PM

Ah, well I right then.  You have a simplistic zero-sum view of the world where evil politicians are at odds with the noble American people. :mellow:  I'm not sure what else to say.

You could read it that way. Or you could read it as that I believe that politicians are children, their parties are pushing them into a zero-sum situation, and they cannot be happy unless they get everything they want.

Razgovory

Yeah, that's not really different then the way I read it except the negative attribute is childish rather then evil.  It's a sophomoric view.