News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

John Demjaniuk flies in

Started by Martinus, May 17, 2009, 01:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

THE passenger touched down in an executive jet, but was whisked away in an ambulance to a Munich prison. Thus did John Demjanjuk arrive in Germany on May 12th to face charges that in 1943 he helped murder at least 29,000 Jews and others at the Sobibor death camp, in Poland. The trial of the 89-year-old former car-worker from Cleveland, Ohio, could be Germany's last showcase attempt to do justice for Nazi war crimes.

http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13653931

Ok so I'm curious what people think about it. On one hand, he is on the deathbed, on the other, he may be a horrible criminal. My personal take is that I won't say "hang him high", but I think he should stand trial. Sure, if the judges think it is appropriate, take into account his condition, age and the time that has passed since his crimes (assuming he is found guilty) when passing the sentence, but have him stand trial first. We may say we should forgive the guy after all these years - but it wasn't us who were in these camps, so what right do we have to forgive on behalf of the victims? Justice without mercy may be cruelty, but mercy without justice is naivete.

PDH

I think he should be killed solely because his presence doomed the American auto industry.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

Regardless of outcome it's mostly a show trial so Germany can demonstrate that it is still committed to investigating the Holocaust and bringing war criminals to justice. Not that Germany did a good job at that in the postwar period. Have a high profile trial every now and then, but leave most of the criminals at large. That has been standard procedure ever since 1945.

The trial will be tricky. He can only be tried for accessory to murder or murder as everything else he may have done is way past the statute of limitations and "crimes against humanity" didn't exist back then in German criminal law so you can't try him for that. If he is found guilty though, his age and fragility should not influence the sentence in my opinion. Only the execution of it - there are special prisons for very old prisoners in Germany.

Slargos

I think none of the real criminals of world war 2 have been put to trial yet.

Some are dead, murdered or otherwise, but there are still plenty to go.  ;)

jimmy olsen

If he's guilty, he should be punished as such. No leniency should be given because of time elapsed for such a monstrous crime.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I'm glad he isn't breathing my crisp, clean Ohio air anymore.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

DGuller

Given his age and health, I think that he should be executed right now.  There will always be time for a trial.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on May 17, 2009, 03:38:07 PM
Given his age and health, I think that he should be executed right now.  There will always be time for a trial.
:D

Neil

I don't understand.  What does this have to do with homosexuals?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2009, 01:56:30 PM
Fucking Americans.

:rolleyes: He's a Ukrainian.  He was barely ever an American and literally is not anymore (his citizenship was revoked in like 2002 or so).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2009, 04:16:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2009, 01:56:30 PM
Fucking Americans.

(his citizenship was revoked in like 2002 or so).

Why do you think Brain is so upset?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 17, 2009, 04:33:37 PMWhy do you think Brain is so upset?  :huh:

I don't know.  Brain is impossible to read.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2009, 04:37:01 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 17, 2009, 04:33:37 PMWhy do you think Brain is so upset?  :huh:

I don't know.  Brain is impossible to read.  :huh:

B R A I N.

Easy.