A hypothetical media merger - which would make more sense?

Started by Martinus, December 01, 2012, 03:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, here is a bit of a hypothetical question. Assume such outcome is possible both financially and legally (i.e. from the antitrust perspective), which of the following scenarios would make more sense commercially, in terms of continuing the current operations of these media/news outlets:

- a single corporation runs both Fox News and MSNBC News

or

- a single corporation runs CNN and either Fox News or MSNBC News

I guess the question is one of credibility (would it be affected, from the viewer's perspective, if two "opposing" media outlets belonged to the same company) vs. overlap leading to loss of revenue/viewers (which would probably be affected to a greater extent in the second scenario).

MadImmortalMan

MSNBC would not survive either scenario due to low ratings.

But no, I think it's possible for them to coexist within the same company structure. Usually the editorial positions are not tampered with in those situations. It's a good business decision--the separate entities have different target markets.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 01, 2012, 05:10:26 AM

But no, I think it's possible for them to coexist within the same company structure. Usually the editorial positions are not tampered with in those situations. It's a good business decision--the separate entities have different target markets.

Yeah, that's how the newspapers in Charleston do it.  The morning paper was a Democratic paper, while the evening paper was a Repulican paper.  They were both owned by the same company, but you'd never know it unless you read the fine print in the publisher's notes, or followed local business news carefully.

There is a difference, though, in that newspapers are generally upfront about their editorial bias, while TV news operations aren't.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 01, 2012, 08:53:31 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 01, 2012, 05:10:26 AM

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ailes ritually sacrificing Martin Bashir on the altar of the party? That gives me a boner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

We could make some good money if we figured out what kind of EU media merger Marty has been working on preparing :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

They should combine Fox News and MSNBC. We would then the straight story.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".