News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is that a fiscal cliff ahead in the distance?

Started by Jacob, November 29, 2012, 02:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Ah, I was just wondering.  You seemed to be using the term in contempt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2012, 04:22:31 PM

I don't see the connection.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2012, 03:51:36 PM
IMO, raising taxes on the riches isn't going to hurt the economy a bit, since they only spend a fraction of their income anyway. 

Wow.  What's your line of work, again?  :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2012, 04:39:46 PM
IMO, raising taxes on the riches isn't going to hurt the economy a bit, since they only spend a fraction of their income anyway. 

USE IT OR LOSE IT!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

He's right as far as he goes.  The rich invest more of their income than everyone else.

What he overlooks is that investment is the third leg of the holy Keynesian trinity.

MadImmortalMan

They'll pass on whatever costs to their customers. If they can't find a way to avoid them. Besides, taxing the rich isn't going to provide significant revenues anyway. It's symbolic.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 04:47:47 PM

He's right as far as he goes.  The rich invest more of their income than everyone else.

What he overlooks is that investment is the third leg of the holy Keynesian trinity.
Right now the lack of spending, and not lack of investment, is what's holding the economy back.

DGuller

:huh: I'm not sure what part of what I said you're taking exception to, nor how it should related to my line of work.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2012, 04:58:25 PM
Right now the lack of spending, and not lack of investment, is what's holding the economy back.

Investment *is* spending.  It's the "I" in Y=C+G+I+(X-M)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 04:26:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2012, 04:22:31 PM

I don't see the connection.

Most people don't refer to themselves using terms of contempt.  That's all.  Struck me as odd.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2012, 05:03:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2012, 04:58:25 PM

Investment *is* spending.  It's the "I" in Y=C+G+I+(X-M)
:hmm: The math of that statement eludes me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2012, 05:06:29 PM
Most people don't refer to themselves using terms of contempt.  That's all.  Struck me as odd.

Sometimes I can't tell if you really don't get it or you do get it and just like to make bad arguments.

Occupy Wall Street proclaimed that We Are the 99%.  There is absolutely no doubt that I am a member of the 99%.  That doesn't mean that if I mock the slogan for being simplistic, wrong-headed, stupid, or all of the above that I am showing contempt for myself.  Exactly the same with the Schumer class.  I make much, much less than $200,000 a year.  That doesn't mean I am prevented from criticizing the Schumer/Obama construction of dividing the American people into "hard working middle class Americans" who earn less than that amount and fatcats and billionaires who earn more, and promising to tax only the latter.

What the hell do I have in common with someone making 200K?  Why should I feel great sympathy and empathy for him or her and animosity for someone making a little more?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2012, 05:06:34 PM
:hmm: The math of that statement eludes me.

Can't tell if joking.  It's the basic macro national income identity.