And we're back!

Main Menu

The war on men

Started by garbon, November 26, 2012, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

merithyn

Quote from: Drakken on November 26, 2012, 02:57:59 PM

I don't know in what part of backward Bible-belt you are living, but here in Canada - as in the rest of evolution-theory savyy mankind, there are zero negative connotations against women giving birth out of wetlock anymore. The negative connotations is against women who delay having children, or refuse to commit altogether into their thirthies.

That may be the case where you are, but around here, there's still a backlash to a certain degree. It's not obvious nor ubiquitous, but it's there, and almost always by women against women. It's kind of an attitude of "Oh, she couldn't get her man to commit!" God forbid that a woman have more than one child by more than one man, having never married any of them. That's indicative of serious trash right there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on November 26, 2012, 02:41:40 PM
C) It is simply not alluring anymore. Let's not kid ourselves: marriages nowadays seldom not last unto death do us apart unless you marry in your 80s. It lasts until one gets fed up with the partner and leaves or finds better, just like in concubinage. No-fault divorce basically killed the meaning of marriage, and a lot of us saw how ours parents fared during their own marriages when we were kids.

Seldom?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on November 26, 2012, 02:59:54 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 02:58:29 PM
So what happens if there's a child or children involved? How does that work?

Child alimony, and joined custody unless unwarranted.

I guess I do not get the practical difference between being unmarried and married once kids enter the equation unless you are rich or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Outside of marriage, the richest member of the couple does not have to pay to maintain the lifestyle of the other as it was during their living together.

As for the kids, the parents who does not have keep must pay the other a certain amount, based on his income.  It is perceived by the employer directly on the parent's pay, given to the government and then to the receiving parents.

That means the 5% who never received any money now receive something while the other 95% now receive their money 2-3 months later than before.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2012, 03:07:36 PM
Quote from: Drakken on November 26, 2012, 02:59:54 PM

Child alimony, and joined custody unless unwarranted.

I guess I do not get the practical difference between being unmarried and married once kids enter the equation unless you are rich or something.
alimony.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Drakken

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 26, 2012, 02:58:20 PM
Great, we have to admit French superiority on something.

Until next year when the Canadian Supreme Court decides on Eric v. Lola.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 26, 2012, 03:01:12 PM
God forbid that a woman have more than one child by more than one man, having never married any of them. That's indicative of serious trash right there.

That one gets used against men as well.  At least to point out how trashy they are.

But I guess in superior countries it is considered a positive boon to have six kids with six different people.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 26, 2012, 03:08:18 PM
alimony.

Hence the 'unless you are rich' part.  How many divorces actually end up in alimony being paid?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2012, 03:07:36 PM
if you're married, everything acquired during marriage must be split 50-50.  That means if you make 250k$ a year and your spouse stays at home, you got to split the house in two.

It is problematic for many SMBs.  Companies tend to grow over time, even farms.  Even if the spouse does not work for the business, has no ties to it, he/she will be entitled to 50% of its net value when they divorce, if the business was acquired/started during marriage.

Many SMB owners have been forced to sell their business to pay for these costs.

As always in Quebec, we use a bazooka to kill a fly.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Well even that can be managed with a pre-nuptial agreement.