Canada's foreign policy to be determined by economic interests, not values

Started by viper37, November 22, 2012, 02:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I'm shocked.  Really shocked.

First, Canada has a foreign policy.  That is news to me.
Second, it seems we have "Canadian" values.  Like the much taunted "Liberal values" of the Liberal party, no one has ever seen them or heard them, but apparently they are there.

National Post OpEd

So, do we value economics first&foremost, disregarding human rights violation so long as our pockets are filled, do we discuss the issue briefly just to say we discussed it (the Liberal way) or do we strike to achieve a balance?

On this one, I lean toward the Conservative's approach.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Well it is only a draft policy.

But it does seem odd, since Harper since 2006 has taken a different approach from the previous Liberal government and has taken more principles-based decisions (marginally tougher line with China, support for Israel, closed embassy in Tehran).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Cynicism doesn't suit you, Canucks.  It's simply not in your DNA.

Neil

Canada's foreign policy should be based on a two-power dreadnought standard.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Neil on November 22, 2012, 02:24:51 PM
Canada's foreign policy should be based on a two horse power dreadnought standard.

Fixed your error.

edit:
This should suffice:

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I gotta say when I heard this story "break" on the CBC I thought of the debate about whether Hobbits killing animals was actually news.

Scipio

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 02:05:53 PM
I'm shocked.  Really shocked.

First, Canada has a foreign policy.  That is news to me.
Second, it seems we have "Canadian" values.  Like the much taunted "Liberal values" of the Liberal party, no one has ever seen them or heard them, but apparently they are there.

National Post OpEd

So, do we value economics first&foremost, disregarding human rights violation so long as our pockets are filled, do we discuss the issue briefly just to say we discussed it (the Liberal way) or do we strike to achieve a balance?

On this one, I lean toward the Conservative's approach.
Ditto.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

QuoteAs quoted in the National Post by columnist Michael den Tandt, Trudeau opined that "China, for one, sets its own rules and will continue to do so because it can. China has a game plan. There is nothing inherently sinister about that. They have needs and the world has resources to meet those needs. We Canadians have more of those resources — and therefore more leverage — than any nation on Earth."

What an asshole.

QuoteMr. Trudeau is right. Leverage is what you make of it, and in Canada's case, opening the gates of economic liberty to the Chinese can only help to eventually open the gates of democratic freedoms as well. The most powerful forces of social change come from within.

No, not always, and especially not there.

DGuller

Can you think of any prosperous country that isn't at least somewhat democratic?  After a while, something has to give.  Autocratic governments are by their very nature very corrupt, so that puts a ceiling on the prosperity.  Sure, China can grow impressively now, but they're still at a low base.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2012, 03:13:29 PM
Can you think of any prosperous country that isn't at least somewhat democratic?  After a while, something has to give.  Autocratic governments are by their very nature very corrupt, so that puts a ceiling on the prosperity.  Sure, China can grow impressively now, but they're still at a low base.

Saudi Arabia? Singapore? Bhutan?

Neil

Trudeau is, like his father, dedicated to the destruction of the United States.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Canada values money over values in foreign relations.

In other news, water remains wet, the Pope is Catholic, and bears shit in the woods ...  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2012, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2012, 03:13:29 PM

Saudi Arabia? Singapore? Bhutan?
Good point on the oil kingdoms, but they're one trick ponies.  They rely on one natural resource for their prosperity, not human capital or general economic development.