America's Rudest Cities

Started by merithyn, November 23, 2012, 02:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2012, 03:49:35 PM
Canadians in Stockholm? :(

That's why they pretend to be Americans, role-playing, otherwise it would be exactly like them staying at home, save for the flimsier furniture.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2012, 03:18:36 PM
A better statistical model could be built by analysing American Languish posters;

I'd hazard Baltimore and Dayton, Ohio (or wherever 'someone' lives) would be in the top 10.

It is Bellbrook motherfucker. I've made no secret of my town.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2012, 03:27:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2012, 03:22:44 PM
Lol, Daytone.

It's not exactly a well know place, hell it's probably smaller than my nearest large town and I'm not sure many Daytonites have either heard of it or could spell it correctly.

Dayton metropolitan area is about 840,000 people, so it's about 50,000 people ahead of Leeds.

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2012, 03:42:51 PM
Quote from: PDH on November 23, 2012, 03:41:09 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2012, 03:29:20 PM
I try to be rude to Americans in Stockholm. :)

Both of them?

They're all over the place with their fat and retardism.

I've only been there once!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 23, 2012, 04:49:17 PM
A better statistical model could be built by analysing American Languish posters;

I'd hazard Baltimore and Dayton, Ohio (or wherever 'someone' lives) would be in the top 10.

This is the first time I've seen you mention it.  I remember I got such a reaction out of you when I accused you of being a Xenian I became convinced you lived there :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2012, 05:34:20 PM

This is the first time I've seen you mention it.  I remember I got such a reaction out of you when I accused you of being a Xenian I became convinced you lived there :D

You wounded me deeply.  :lol:

You could have said I was from Yellow Springs. That would call for a duel.

Admiral Yi

Sure you have. :mellow:

You ever make it over to the Daytone 500?

Ed Anger

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: dps on November 23, 2012, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2012, 03:27:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2012, 03:22:44 PM
Lol, Daytone.

It's not exactly a well know place, hell it's probably smaller than my nearest large town and I'm not sure many Daytonites have either heard of it or could spell it correctly.

Dayton metropolitan area is about 840,000 people, so it's about 50,000 people ahead of Leeds.

It isn't an exact science and the way some US demographers do metropolitan areas would mean that Leeds be include all of West Yorshire and a fair bit more so substantially larger than Dayton.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Metro area is definitely hinkey. I mean Dallas and Fort Worth are not anything close to a contiguous urban entity but are often lumped together in one huge metropolitan area.

At the same time, sometimes cities are a lot bigger than they should be, so in some cases the metro area is a better reflection of the city size than the actual size of the legal jurisdiction.

The biggest city in Ohio for example is Columbus, by a long shot--it has almost 800,000 people (Cleveland is under 400,000 and Cincy is just under 300,000) but to my mind both Cincy and Cleveland "feel" more big-cityish than Columbus. Density bears it out, Cincy is 4200/sq. mi., and Cleveland is 5100/sq. mi., Columbus is 3500/sq. mi. At a certain point you have to question how valid a city's actual population is if the city has just grown preposterously large geographically. As a comparison Columbus covers something like 5 times as much area as Paris or San Francisco (actually combined, both of those cities are around 40 sq. mi. and Columbus is 200+.) Columbus has about 2/3rds the land of New York City's five boroughs but is about 10% of their population.

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on November 23, 2012, 02:39:03 PM
Also, highly amused that Anchorage made the top 20. :D

It's certainly not surprising.

CountDeMoney

I can see where Boston and Atlanta are so high up.

NYC, never had many "rudeness" issues; like Yi said, it's more indifference.  Everybody's doing their own thing.  DC?  Don't get that one.  Maybe on the beltway they are, but that's understandable.