News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesse Jackson Jr resigns - shocker!

Started by merithyn, November 21, 2012, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

The story isn't really the interesting part. The comments on WSJ are priceless, though.  :lol:

Source

QuoteCHICAGO—U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. has notified congressional leaders that he has resigned from office, just two weeks after winning re-election.

Mr. Jackson in a resignation letter sent to House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) on Wednesday wrote that he's resigning "effective today, in order to focus on my health."

He also makes reference to a federal probe, saying in the letter that he is cooperating with investigators and doing his best to "accept responsibility for my mistakes."

Mr. Jackson, 47 years old, was first elected in 1995 and represents a district on Chicago's South Side. He has stayed out of the public eye since the spring. He has said he is suffering from depression and gastrointestinal issues, seeking treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

The congressman is the subject of a criminal probe into allegations he misused campaign money to decorate his house, according to people familiar with matter. The resignation announcement isn't related to any imminent action in the criminal probe, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

Illinois law requires the governor to set a date for a special election when a congressional seat becomes vacant. A spokesman for Gov. Pat Quinn said his office is required to make a decision on that date in the next five days.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I LOLed when I heard that he got re-elected.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

My brother met the real Jesse Jackson a couple weeks ago.  He claims he addressed him as Rev. Sharpton but I'm suspicious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Nice. Now they can spend money on another election in a few months.

Fireblade

What sort of shenanigans is he connected to? I've heard (read: DailyKos) his excuse of "poor health" is a cover for being implicated in some Chicago-style politics. Is he accused of stashing money in his freezer like my nigga Dollar Bill Jefferson or something?

Martinus

Quote from: Fireblade on November 22, 2012, 12:28:52 AM
What sort of shenanigans is he connected to? I've heard (read: DailyKos) his excuse of "poor health" is a cover for being implicated in some Chicago-style politics. Is he accused of stashing money in his freezer like my nigga Dollar Bill Jefferson or something?

Uhm, it says so in the article.  :huh:

katmai

You have to remember that fireblade is from Arkansas.  :Canuck:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fireblade

Phillip V

Lavish Lifestyle of a Lawmaker Yields Federal Charges

'Jesse L. Jackson Jr., the former Illinois congressman, used about $750,000 in campaign funds to buy items like a $5,000 football signed by United States presidents, a $43,350 gold-plated men’s Rolex watch, two hats that once belonged to Michael Jackson — including a $4,600 fedora — and an $800 cape.

Mr. Jackson was elected to Congress in 1995 at age 30 after his predecessor Mel Reynolds was convicted on charges of having sex with a teenage campaign volunteer.

Reynolds has announced his candidacy to replace the recently resigned Jesse Jackson, Jr. in the Illinois's 2nd congressional district special election, 2013.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/us/politics/jesse-jackson-jr-charged-in-misuse-of-campaign-money.html

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2012, 10:59:50 PM
My brother met the real Jesse Jackson a couple weeks ago.  He claims he addressed him as Rev. Sharpton but I'm suspicious.

They all look alike.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2012, 10:59:50 PM

When he spoke outside at Stanford to perhaps 50 or so people - I stopped momentarily and then rolled my eyes on my way to my dorm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

'Former Illinois congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. pleaded guilty to charges that could send him to prison for roughly four years.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/us/politics/jesse-l-jackson-jr-pleads-guilty-to-wire-and-mail-fraud.html

fhdz

Quote from: Phillip V on February 15, 2013, 11:25:14 PM
Mr. Jackson was elected to Congress in 1995 at age 30 after his predecessor Mel Reynolds was convicted on charges of having sex with a teenage campaign volunteer.

Reynolds has announced his candidacy to replace the recently resigned Jesse Jackson, Jr. in the Illinois's 2nd congressional district special election, 2013.'

:lmfao:
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on February 20, 2013, 12:48:21 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 15, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

:lmfao:

Well considering that Mel Reynolds one re-election when the charges were pending, why the hell not? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.