Main Menu

Clocking An eyeFull

Started by mongers, November 12, 2012, 10:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What a clockup! Apple's Swiss clock knock-off clocks up $21m fine

Swiss railways laughing all the way to the Swiss bank

By Anna Leach • In Law • At 16:29 GMT 12th November 2012

Apple has paid 20m Swiss francs (£13m, $21m) to Switzerland's national railway operator, which holds the rights to the distinctive clock-face design used in the new iPad.

Last month Apple agreed to shell out for a licence, but the multi-million-dollar cost only emerged yesterday in a report by Swiss paper Tages-Anzeiger.

The clock in question: Apple's version, left; the Swiss railway version, right

The Cupertino giant tweaked the look of clock faces shown on iPads powered by iOS 6 by taking out the numbers, adding little black markers and putting a ball at the end of the second hand - a move that's left Apple rummaging its pockets for spare change.

:nelson:

rest of item here:
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/12/apple_payout_swiss_railways/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Whereas if it was Microsoft, the EU would have hit them with a billion-dollar fine.

Europe is crooked.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

:lol:  Good for Mondaine.

How the hell they thought they could get away with that one, with one of the most recognized clock faces in Western Civilization.  Oh, I know how:  they're Apple, and think they can get away with anything.

$21M is chump change, though.

Neil

Yeah, since Apple is a bunch of piece-of-shit patent-campers, they should have known that everything is patented in this day and age.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on November 12, 2012, 11:01:27 PM
Whereas if it was Microsoft, the EU would have hit them with a billion-dollar fine.

Europe is crooked.

Switzerland is not in the EU. :secret:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2012, 11:49:29 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 12, 2012, 11:01:27 PM

Europe is crooked.

Switzerland is not in the EU. :secret:
Doesn't matter.   Every European country is still bad.

mongers

Damn, every since reading this, I really want one of these Mondaine watches.    :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"