Main Menu

What are you brewing?

Started by merithyn, November 16, 2012, 12:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on December 16, 2014, 01:45:53 AM
WARNING: REVIVING A DEAD THREAD!

Doing it again, but WAY WORSE!!!111   :P

I have a (roughly) two year old batch of mead that fermented half way using EC-1118 and then quit. Maybe 6% starting from 1.14 on the hydrometer. Six gallons. I had oranges and vanilla in there before I racked it the first time. I tried to restart it a couple times but it seemed to croak out once I pitched it each time. This week, when I got back from Utah I decided I was gonna make something happen with this one way or another (It tastes wonderful--it's just very syrupy, like Cardassians drink). So, I started my yeast yet again and this time I added must from the carboy a little at a time, making sure the yeast kept active as I went. Then finally put the whole thing into the main batch and now it's actually bubbling through the valve again.

Is there some kind of nuke yeast that will finish even sugary must with a lot of alcohol in it?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Liep

Brewed this with some colleagues some months ago, finally ready but it's far away and I haven't tasted it yet. :(

Well, I said I brewed, I was there drinking good beer while people were brewing it. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2016, 04:38:16 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 16, 2014, 01:45:53 AM
WARNING: REVIVING A DEAD THREAD!

Doing it again, but WAY WORSE!!!111   :P

I have a (roughly) two year old batch of mead that fermented half way using EC-1118 and then quit. Maybe 6% starting from 1.14 on the hydrometer. Six gallons. I had oranges and vanilla in there before I racked it the first time. I tried to restart it a couple times but it seemed to croak out once I pitched it each time. This week, when I got back from Utah I decided I was gonna make something happen with this one way or another (It tastes wonderful--it's just very syrupy, like Cardassians drink). So, I started my yeast yet again and this time I added must from the carboy a little at a time, making sure the yeast kept active as I went. Then finally put the whole thing into the main batch and now it's actually bubbling through the valve again.

Is there some kind of nuke yeast that will finish even sugary must with a lot of alcohol in it?

This is a great place to look for what kinds of yeasts to use for a variety of different things: https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on August 05, 2016, 05:04:29 PM
Brewed this with some colleagues some months ago, finally ready but it's far away and I haven't tasted it yet. :(

Well, I said I brewed, I was there drinking good beer while people were brewing it. :P

That's about as close as some of my friends have come to brewing a beer when they've asked me to help.  Every time they are about to do something wrong I'm all like JEEZ MOVE LET ME DO IT.  I end up doing about 80% of the work.

I brewed a Hefeweizen and then a Dunkelweizen in June as my last beers before my summer brewing break.  Hefe turned out awesome but the Dunkelweizen just tastes boring.  Wanted it to be like Franziskaner.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I just racked a brilliant Black Strap Black Porter. Cannot WAIT to drink it in a couple of months. I used the kit for five gallons of London Black Fog Porter but added half a pound of molasses and two pounds of brown sugar to it. Upped the alcohol content and the sweetness just enough.

I've got a Pecan Pie Double Bock that I need to get the hops for, then I'll get that in the hopper, too.

derspiess

Nice.  I'm working on an Imperial Stout recipe that I'm going to let sit in a fermenter for months.  How are you going to lager your doppelbock?  I haven't played around with lagers yet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I've got the system set-up for using our deep freezer, but I may just wait until the fall and do it The Olde Fashioned Way (allow the cooler days and nights to do the laugering for me). My friend does hers in her garage and it comes out fantastic that way.

derspiess

A buddy of mine puts his fermenter in a swamp cooler and rotates in frozen bottles of water to keep the temperature a certain level.  Too much work for me.  I was going to get a chest freezer to convert to put kegs in, lager, etc. but I don't have space any more ironically since the wife bought me the beer fridge for the garage.

Jacob

Okay, I want to make some mead.

What do I need to get? I mean other than the honey, yeast, etc... what gear do I need?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2016, 05:46:29 PM
Okay, I want to make some mead.

What do I need to get? I mean other than the honey, yeast, etc... what gear do I need?

Keep in mind that I'm a failure so far, but you need big bottles or pails that seal, some air valves to cork em up with, and not much else. It isn't too hard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ACWSZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Valves. I put vodka in them, but you can just use water really.

I do use StarSan on my equipment though. It's basically acid sanitizer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on August 08, 2016, 11:16:44 AM

This is a great place to look for what kinds of yeasts to use for a variety of different things: https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart

Thanks for that.  :)