News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Not much love between Merkel and Putin

Started by Syt, November 17, 2012, 12:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germanys-merkel-under-pressure-to-be-tougher-on-president-putin-when-they-meet-in-moscow/2012/11/16/68bfc04e-2fce-11e2-af17-67abba0676e2_story.html

QuoteMerkel, Putin meet amid tension over Germany's criticisms of Russia's rights record

MOSCOW — Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday shot back at visiting German Chancellor Angela Merkel for raising questions about the imprisonment of the Pussy Riot punk provocateurs, suggesting she was poorly informed about the group's true nature.

The exchange at a Russian-German business forum in Moscow came in the wake of growing German criticism of Russia's human rights record and its moves to crack down on dissent.

Germany's parliament passed a resolution last week that linked Russia's rollback on democratic freedoms to Putin's return to the presidency in May and urged the German government to take a tougher stance in dealing with Russia.

Asked about German criticism of Russia's human rights and democracy record, Merkel said it reflected Germany's sense of engagement and its deep interest in Russia's development.

"It won't make our friendship better if we sweep everything under the carpet and don't discuss it," Merkel said, adding that not all criticism should immediately be viewed as destructive.

At the forum, Merkel raised cautious criticism of the two-year prison sentences imposed on two members of the band Pussy Riot for a guerrilla performance in Moscow's main cathedral of a so-called "punk prayer" entreating the Virgin Mary to save Russia from Putin.

"Having to go to a prison camp for two years for that — this would not have happened in Germany," she added.

But Putin asked whether Merkel knew that one of the women had previously taken part in a performance-art demonstration where several dolls representing migrant workers and homosexuals, one of them also identified as Jewish, were hung from nooses.

The 2008 demonstration was actually in support of those groups, but Putin interpreted it differently.

"We cannot support, with you, people who take an anti-Semitic position," Putin said. That argument bore echoes of the band members' convictions on charges that the cathedral performance was hooliganism to debase a religion.

The Kremlin has launched a wide-ranging crackdown on dissent since Putin's inauguration for a third presidential term in May, issuing a series of repressive bills intended to discourage people from taking part in unauthorized protests, re-criminalize slander, impose new tight restrictions on non-government organizations and widely expand the definition of treason.

Merkel said after later talks with Putin in the Kremlin that she expressed her concern about Russia's legislative moves, adding that a frank discussion was essential to improve mutual understanding.

Putin, in his turn, lashed out at the European Union's energy market regulations intended to boost competition in the energy market, describing it as "harmful" and discriminatory against Russia's state-controlled gas monopoly, Gazprom.

At the same time, Putin emphasized a desire to forge even closer economic ties with Germany, Russia's No. 1 trading partner. After the meeting, Russian and German officials signed a series of agreements in energy, transport and other spheres.

Germany's foreign minister said prior to the talks that Merkel was taking a balanced approach to relations with Moscow.

"On the one hand, we don't want to hold back on criticism regarding Russia's internal development, but on the other hand we are very keen for the strategic partnership with Russia to be expanded," Guido Westerwelle told Deutschlandfunk radio on Friday.

Westerwelle said Germany also has foreign policy interests that involve Russia. Despite differences over the civil war in Syria, he stressed that there were areas in which the two countries work closely together, such as in efforts to address concerns over Iran's nuclear program.

Putin criticized Merkel for lack of gender equality in Germany and a strong anti-Russian sentiment in the media in recent weeks/months. Merkel's reply was essentially, "Open the papers and see what they write about me. If I got offended and pouty every time, I wouldn't last three days as chancellor."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

The Guardian had some useful detail on what Putin was referring to:
QuotePutin has repeatedly supported the sentence against Pussy Riot. Three of the band's members – Maria Alyokhina, Nadia Tolokonnikova, and Yekaterina Samutsevich – were sentenced to two years in prison in August for singing an anti-Putin "punk prayer" inside a Moscow cathedral. Samutsevich was later given a suspended sentence and released.

The Russian president appeared to be referring to a September 2008 performance by the radical art group Voina, of which Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich were once a part. The group staged a mock hanging of five men in a Moscow supermarket as commentary on the city's repressive social policies.

"In the light of day, in the lighting department, three migrant workers and two homosexuals, one of whom was also a Jew, were killed by hanging," a description of the performance reads. Moscow has been criticised for failing to protect its many migrant workers from ex-Soviet states, who face regular violence, and has banned gay pride parades for 100 years. Video of the performance shows Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich in the group.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Yeah, I wasn't sure which news story to use between Bloomberg, WP, NYT, Guardian and a few others, because all covered different details of the meeting. But yeah, I thought that calling that performance anti-semitic is rather insidious.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

In related news, former President Medvedev engages in kitten-diplomacy...

http://rt.com/politics/kitten-medvedev-finland-present-851/

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

It's probably got more listening devices in it, it won't be able to shit without broadcasting.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2012, 01:03:37 AM
QuotePutin has repeatedly supported the sentence against Pussy Riot. Three of the band's members – Maria Alyokhina, Nadia Tolokonnikova, and Yekaterina Samutsevich – were sentenced to two years in prison in August for singing an anti-Putin "punk prayer" inside a Moscow cathedral. Samutsevich was later given a suspended sentence and released.

The Russian president appeared to be referring to a September 2008 performance by the radical art group Voina, of which Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich were once a part. The group staged a mock hanging of five men in a Moscow supermarket as commentary on the city's repressive social policies.

"In the light of day, in the lighting department, three migrant workers and two homosexuals, one of whom was also a Jew, were killed by hanging," a description of the performance reads. Moscow has been criticised for failing to protect its many migrant workers from ex-Soviet states, who face regular violence, and has banned gay pride parades for 100 years. Video of the performance shows Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich in the group.

I thought Pussy Riot case was well known around the world. But maybe it's just this part of Europe.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2012, 02:56:06 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2012, 01:03:37 AM

I thought Pussy Riot case was well known around the world. But maybe it's just this part of Europe.

At least in Sweden the 2008 stuff isn't widely known.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Nobody listens to shitty European music outside of shitty Europe.

The Brain

CountDeMoney

Don't eyeball me like that.  I blame each and every one of you for Europe's The Final Countdown.  Fucks.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 06:32:31 AM
Don't eyeball me like that.  I blame each and every one of you for Europe's The Final Countdown.  Fucks.

Thanks! :)

But I was just unsure how music entered the thread.

CountDeMoney

I didn't mention Pussy Riot.  I just followed the carnage.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 06:41:03 AM
I didn't mention Pussy Riot.  I just followed the carnage.

Anyway, as a Native American you really shouldn't take a dump on Europe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCbUZqN8JZ0

What is it with Swedish bands and capturing the essence of America? Fascinating.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould