News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Is everyone planning on playing Fed?

Can you have multiple characters per account?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

You have to play Fed a "little"* to be able to play the Klingon.

*Don't know how long.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2010, 11:11:03 AM
You have to play Fed a "little"* to be able to play the Klingon.

*Don't know how long.

I read this last night, its 5 or 6 levels iirc.  I assume they dont want you jumping directly into pvp without learning some of the basics of the game first.

I dont know the answer to Berk's question though.  I am not sure you can play a Klingon and a Federation toon on the same account.  I suspect not given that they are different factions but that is just my experience with WoW.  Cryptic could have things organized differently.

Grey Fox

I think you can play a Klingon on the same account.

I have the feeling that it's alot like LOTR's monster play.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2010, 11:40:28 AM

I have the feeling that it's alot like LOTR's monster play.

I dont think it will be like monster play.  All the FAQs talk about pvp play being in remote neutral territory.  That doesnt make sense if it is just Klingons fighting other factions of Klingons.

I am pretty sure there will be disappointment if Klingon and Federation players cant actually fight eachother.

Barrister

Berkut, with Klingons only being unlocked after finishing the first 6 levels, and with STO only having one server, yes you can have both Klingon and Federation characters.  While I'm sure there will be some gaming the system, with it's 'consentual PvP' model it shouldn't be too bad.

Klingons can fight other Klingons, plus the Federation.  From what I gather PvP happens either in scenarios, or maybe in a PvP zone like the Neutral zone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So my download did finish overnight.  I did start the game up this morning, heard the opening music, saw where your character would stand, before it kicked me out.

The launcher had a new warning - for right now players are limited to lvl 16, and only Federation and Klingon sectors.  That should be lifted fairly shortly in open beta.

Still trying to think of a silly beta character.  Maybe an orion slave girl captain...

Barrister

The real question is whether I run home during lunch to try it out or not.  I do sometimes go home for lunch, but given the time to drive there and back, plus, you know, eat, I'm not sure if I'd just be teasing myself.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:14:37 PM
The real question is whether I run home during lunch to try it out or not.  I do sometimes go home for lunch, but given the time to drive there and back, plus, you know, eat, I'm not sure if I'd just be teasing myself.

Personally I see a lot on my desk that can wait until tomorrow.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2010, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:14:37 PM

Personally I see a lot on my desk that can wait until tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have bail court at 1pm.   :(

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2010, 11:49:06 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2010, 11:40:28 AM

I have the feeling that it's alot like LOTRO's monster play.

I dont think it will be like monster play.  All the FAQs talk about pvp play being in remote neutral territory.  That doesnt make sense if it is just Klingons fighting other factions of Klingons.

I am pretty sure there will be disappointment if Klingon and Federation players cant actually fight eachother.

Okay, I guess not exactly like Monster play.

I thought it was Player controlled monster vs normal character in LOTRO?

but I just meant that you could opt on your Klingon Character at anytime.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2010, 12:24:35 PM
but I just meant that you could opt on your Klingon Character at anytime.

From what BB said, you are probably right.

Crazy_Ivan80

ah, I managed to geet into open beta too
so I guess I won't need the guest pass kat :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:23:00 PM

If I wake up tomorrow to news reports that everyone was released on bail I will know why.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2010, 12:58:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:23:00 PM

If I wake up tomorrow to news reports that everyone was released on bail I will know why.

I thought you knew me better than that.  I may love Star Trek and online gaming, but I love keeping people in jail even more.   :menace:

So the Open Beta starts... now.  Someone tell me if they're able to log in at all.